As many may have realized the Office 2010 installer shipping with Dell systems (even on 64-bit OS's) will only install Office 32 bit. To install Office 64 bit on a compatible 64-Bit OS please follow the following steps.
1. Ensure Office 64-bit is what you need, there are some limitations, review them here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx#BKMK_Disadvantages
2. Uninstall all versions of Microsoft office and make sure none are listed in Programs and Features.
4. Sign into or create a new Windows Live account.
5. Put in your Product Key, select Language and enter the correct Captcha.
6. Confirm order details. (You can order a backup DVD this way as well)
7. (Do NOT click on Download) Select the Advanced Options that is listed below the Download link.
8. Select 64-Bit to begin the download for the 64-bit installer.
WARNING: Office 2010 64-bit is NOT compatible with WIndows XP 64.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Run Belarc Advisor, obtain your Microsoft Office Product Key.
Uninstall any Microsoft Office Programs.
Download the correct (x64) version from here (link to this and other Microsoft Software are available in the Microsoft Softwarewiki below aswell).
Run installer, enter your product key when prompted and activate.
Note Mathtype or Mendeley Desktop don't quite work in the 64 bit version of Office.
Uninstall all MS Office programs including the MS Home & Student trial?
To properly install Office 64 you will have to make sure all versions including home and student or trial versions are removed, also make sure that Office 64 bit is the version you need. I cannot stress that enough.
With all due respect, that link will take me to a 32 bit installation which will and has failed with my Dells, 64 bit.
I have another link provided by both Dell and MS which provides a solid installation of MS Office Home and Student 2010 which came preloaded.
The reason I have not included it is because I am sure you are more skilled than I am but I had to really work my way to obtaining the link I have. I do not want to supply false information.
The link I provided has both 32 bit and 64 bit installers - for English:
May I send you my link which is different than yours but has always worked for me? Perhaps both yours and mine work, I am not sure .