Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2013 01:00

I need software!!! I am willing to buy if need be!!!

I need the software for this laptop. I am willing to purchase it if need be. Dell has a page dedicated to giving us the runaround. They have this wonderful page where we can go and simply download the software that came with our system. It is quite the shame that the "register your product" link which is the link that reportedly will get us to the service tag scanning utility is dead. The purchase software for our system link is invisible I guess. What am I to do when my junk hard drive that Dell put in this computer crashes? I need the factory installed software. There is a page that gives information on how to access and use said software. But no way to purchase or download it.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 25th, 2013 14:00

Please provide the model of system and if you are running Windows 7 or Windows 8. Have you made the recovery media using the Dell Backup and Recovery program?

5 Posts

August 25th, 2013 18:00

N4110 with Windows 7 Home Premium. I purchased this computer and the first thing it did after restoring it to factory settings was run chkdsk. I grabbed all of the drivers and before I could mirror the disk the boot sector crashed. I needed to get the computer to a customer so I used drivers and win7 to get it going but there is allot of "software" that came with the laptop that is unavailable because the Dell Website is a messed up unit and as far as I know, been that way for months. The link to buy the disks is gone and the new fancy "download all oft the original software" "link" loops back to accept the agreement and then "register your product" then back to accept ect ect ect. QUITE MADDENING! Including the backup and recovery program that you asked me about.

FASTER PC BY AC - Alan Cole

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 26th, 2013 00:00

The US customers only form to request backup DVDs is here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1&DoNotRedirect=y

This system should use My Dell Downloads for the preinstalled software:

https://smartsource.dell.com/Web/Welcome.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fweb%2fmain.aspx 

If the full version of Office was purchased you can get the installer from Microsoft but will need the MPI card:

https://www7.downloadoffice2010.microsoft.com/row/registerkey.aspx?ref=pkc&culture=en-us 

5 Posts

August 26th, 2013 19:00

THE DELL DOWNLOADS ONLY GETS ME DRIVERS. I can't access the other downloads. Have tried on several occasions. Always before, I had been able to find the page to ask for the media. Thanks for the help. If there are things missing from the media, I will be back. I am specifically looking for the widgets that came with this unit.  Thank you natakuc4!

5 Posts

August 26th, 2013 22:00

When I go to Dell Downloads, I sign in and I agree to the user agreement, then I click register system.... At that point the page just sits and never goes anywhere. I have tried it 20 times. The laptop is already registered under my name but there is no link from there to download the software. I have a dead link. Have you actually used the page you referred to in your second link natakuc4? Because I have never been able to get past clicking "register system". It always sits there and thinks for about a minute, Then I can re-agree by un-checking the agreement then checking the agreement then the register system button reappears and then I get to re-click "register system" to get the same result.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 27th, 2013 03:00

There should be no system drivers listed under My Dell Downloads. The drivers can be obtained here: http://ftp.dell.com/Pages/index.html 

My Dell Downloads has always been problematic and I have mentioned the difficulties users such as yourself have experienced, personally I dislike the service. I got it working on my system but it took a bit more effort than it should have. The first thing to note is that it doesn't really work unless you are using Internet Explorer and the 32 bit version. I don't have a new system to register so I have not tested registering on Internet Explorer 10 but got it working for Internet Explorer 9.

If I run it on my registered system with Internet Explorer 10 32 bit in private (on a Windows 7 64 bit install) it runs the scan and detects that my system is already registered. 

The problem seems to be the syspro.exe doesn't work on other browsers except Internet Explorer 32 bit after the User Account Control prompt (hence you end up in an infinite loop).

See the notes on page 486 in my Windows Reinstallation Guide: http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ make sure you are running the 32 bit version of Internet Explorer and preferably run in private browsing which will prevent any cookie problem with the browser.

The backup discs will likely only contain the Dell Windows Reinstallation DVD (which cannot be downloaded from My Dell Downloads and is argable the most important software) and a Resource DVD which contains the drivers (which is pointless in most cases as newer versions can be downloaded readily). The preinstalled software will likely not be included with the shipped media. Note there is a quota of 3 downloads per item in My Dell Downloads so back up the installation files to an external hard drive.

5 Posts

August 27th, 2013 06:00

HOW HARD WOULD IT BE TO GIVE THAT INFORMATION TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. ABOUT THE SPECIFIC BROWSER. AND WHY WOULD THEY NOT MAKE THIS WORK WITH FIREFOX? IS IT PART OF SOME CONTRACT THAT THEY HAVE WITH MICROSOFT? LEAVING THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE TOILING AND FRUSTRATED RATHER THAN JUST POSTING THAT IT TAKES A SPECIFIC BROWSER TO BE ABLE TO USE THIS SERVICE THAT IS, ACCORDING TO DELL THE BEST OF THE REST, AWESOME WAY TO GO. IT HASN'T WORKED FOR ME BECAUSE I DON'T USE IE. WHY SHOULD I USE BROWSER THAT IS CONSTANTLY BEING MESSED WITH WHEN I CAN USE ONE THAT WORKS AS WELL AND IS MORE SECURE. I UNDERSTAND WHY THEY DON'T ADVERTISE THAT THEIR SYSTEM DOESN'T WORK WITH OTHER BROWSERS. THIS WAY THEY CAN PLAY DUMB? YOU SAY ALSO THAT YOU HAVE HAD TO USE THE 32BIT VERSION OF IE? HOW DUMB WOULD THAT BE. 90% OF ALL PCS NOW ARE 64BIT. i AM JUST RAMBLING NOW. i COULD PUT SCREEN SHOTS UP BUT i GET THE THE REGISTER YOUR SYSTEM AND IT GOES NO FURTHER IN FIREFOX. I WILL HAVE THE CUSTOMER TRY IE. I HAD TO GIVE THEM THEIR COMPUTER FOR SCHOOL. THAT IS STARTING AROUND HERE. CAN'T WAIT ON FIGURING OUT DELLS MESS.

1 Message

August 27th, 2013 09:00

Ok, so is there an answer here? I would also like to get the Windows 7 OS software which was also purchased with my Dell PC. I have a Service Tag. How can I get this, and no I dont need drivers. And I dont want to just use the datasafe built in option.

Id appreciate a response to this asap.

Toni

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 27th, 2013 19:00

HOW HARD WOULD IT BE TO GIVE THAT INFORMATION TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. ABOUT THE SPECIFIC BROWSER. AND WHY WOULD THEY NOT MAKE THIS WORK WITH FIREFOX? IS IT PART OF SOME CONTRACT THAT THEY HAVE WITH MICROSOFT? LEAVING THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE TOILING AND FRUSTRATED RATHER THAN JUST POSTING THAT IT TAKES A SPECIFIC BROWSER TO BE ABLE TO USE THIS SERVICE THAT IS, ACCORDING TO DELL THE BEST OF THE REST, AWESOME WAY TO GO. IT HASN'T WORKED FOR ME BECAUSE I DON'T USE IE. WHY SHOULD I USE BROWSER THAT IS CONSTANTLY BEING MESSED WITH WHEN I CAN USE ONE THAT WORKS AS WELL AND IS MORE SECURE. I UNDERSTAND WHY THEY DON'T ADVERTISE THAT THEIR SYSTEM DOESN'T WORK WITH OTHER BROWSERS. THIS WAY THEY CAN PLAY DUMB? YOU SAY ALSO THAT YOU HAVE HAD TO USE THE 32BIT VERSION OF IE? HOW DUMB WOULD THAT BE. 90% OF ALL PCS NOW ARE 64BIT.

My Dell Downloads does state that only Internet Explorer is supported. They don't mention that it has to be the 32 bit version of Internet Explorer.

I am a Dell user like yourself, I have also tried to inquire about the limitation of Internet Explorer 32 bit only, actually I would rather have everything on the Dell Drivers and Downloads page opposed to using the My Dell Downloads service.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 27th, 2013 19:00

Ok, so is there an answer here? I would also like to get the Windows 7 OS software which was also purchased with my Dell PC. I have a Service Tag. How can I get this, and no I dont need drivers. And I dont want to just use the datasafe built in option.

Id appreciate a response to this asap.

Toni

It seems like you just want a clean installation. My Dell Downloads doesn't have the Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD. You can review my Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean install of Windows 7:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

It instructs you in how to perform a clean installation using downloadable media from Digital River.

No Events found!