Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2011 08:00

Inspiron 1501 DVD decoder and software

IMy son has recently been gifted a Dell Inspiron 1501(approx 2/3 years old) Windows Home Basic... from a family member and in her haste to remove all her files seems to have disabled the dvd viewing facility. When I insert a dvd it gives me the choice of watching it in Media player or Real player but in both it sees the menu of the installed DVD however then informs me that there is no decoder and ceases to go any further. I am told by the previous owner that they had previously been able to watch DVD's.

I'd appreciate if anyone could advise me if there is anythingthat I can download from Dell that will sort the problem or am I going to have to purchase new DVD viewing software? Not so hot on IT so any answer in leymans terms would be gratefully recieved.

regards

• 

16.7K Posts

January 20th, 2011 10:00

bayerische,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Sorry to hear about the issue with playing DVD's. Try downloading the decoder program below to resolve your issue.

SoftwarePatch

2 Posts

January 21st, 2011 01:00

Thank you Jesse for your swift reply.

I ommited to add in the fact that it is Vista Home Basic and not XP.......oppologies for that......would it still be the same patch or should I be directed elsewhere?

Thanks for your help with this matter.

Regards

• 

16.7K Posts

January 21st, 2011 10:00

Bayersiche,

It should work with no problems.

No Events found!