Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2013 00:00

Installing Ubuntu/Windows dual boot on XPS 8700

Hi,

I just got my XPS 8700 and wanted to install ubuntu on it. I needed to disable secure boot to install ubuntu. So after installation, with secure boot windows was loading and without secure boot ubuntu's grub was loading and I couldn't run windows from grub. I didn't like that situation (i.e. going to bios every time) and wiped the hard disk to install fresh operating systems.

I installed windows then when I went to install ubuntu it didn't recognize the partitions.

I need step by step instruction for what to do. I need windows and ubuntu dual boot.

BTW, the hdd is 2TB and sdd is 32GB. I set it up as RAID0. Is there a better configuration?

3.7K Posts

December 7th, 2013 02:00

What you can do, Install Oracle Virtual box, and load Ubuntu into that. I have Mint 15 running like that within win 8.1.

3.7K Posts

December 7th, 2013 02:00

I will move this post to software and operating systems, where you will get more help.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 7th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

I just got my XPS 8700 and wanted to install ubuntu on it. I needed to disable secure boot to install ubuntu. So after installation, with secure boot windows was loading and without secure boot ubuntu's grub was loading and I couldn't run windows from grub. I didn't like that situation (i.e. going to bios every time) and wiped the hard disk to install fresh operating systems.

I installed windows then when I went to install ubuntu it didn't recognize the partitions.

I need step by step instruction for what to do. I need windows and ubuntu dual boot.

BTW, the hdd is 2TB and sdd is 32GB. I set it up as RAID0. Is there a better configuration?

A question best asked at http://www.ubuntuforums.com

I am sure there are plenty of tutorials on how to dual boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu. All you have to do is Google.

December 7th, 2013 11:00

I have done this a thousand times!

The GPT, UEFI stuff is new me.  

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 7th, 2013 13:00

I have done this a thousand times!

The GPT, UEFI stuff is new me.  

Then read a tutorial about how to do it with Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu.

What is the problem with doing that?

2 Posts

December 12th, 2013 17:00

4 Posts

January 13th, 2014 14:00

Hello Mohammad,

I successfully created a dual-boot Windows 8.1/Ubuntu 13.10 configuration on an XPS8700 Special Edition with a 32Gb SSD. I have documented the process in this article: http://ubuntuone.com/2MQe9Wi5POr46RIqVVdZVm.

I hope you find it useful :emotion-1:

Regards

Dzrtman

1 Message

February 11th, 2014 17:00

Thanks a lot for that Dzrtman!

Your helped me get Kubuntu 13.10 install on my XPS 8700 as well. One note from the pdf guide: I did not have to change the BIOS sata controller from RAID to AHCI. I could install when the sata controller was in RAID mode. But yes, without turning off Intel Rapid Storage Technology, it was a no go, with Ubiquity failing with a Partman error 141. Looks like the kubuntu installer could just not find the disk.

1 Message

October 15th, 2014 08:00

Dzrtman,

The document you posted can no longer be accessed now that UbuntuOne has shut down. Could you post it some other way? It seems like every different model of computer needs a different solution to the problem of dual booting Windows 8 and Ubuntu!

Thanks,

SamFerg

January 5th, 2017 14:00

I don't know if this can help anyone. Anyway after a day or two trying to figure out how to solve this I managed to install ubuntu thanks to wubiefi without much effort.

No Events found!