Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2004 16:00

Laptop/Desktop Legality Question??

I have Office XP Pro on my laptop. It is registered to me, etc. I want to know if I can also put it on my desktop, without any registration/legality problems. Is this possible? What are the ramifications of doing this?Thanks,

623 Posts

June 18th, 2004 17:00

It is a retail version I bought after purchasing my laptop. It is not OEM? Does that mean I can use it on both?

Thanks,

Bill

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 18th, 2004 17:00

If it was a Dell OEM version of Office, supplied with a new PC it legally can only be used on the PC it was supplied with. 

623 Posts

June 18th, 2004 18:00

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Bill

10 Posts

June 18th, 2004 18:00

You should be okay. Check your license agreement. It will show you how many computers you can have it on. Generally, in laymans terms, you could do it  if you bought a regular copy however it shoud only be you using it on either computer.

290 Posts

June 22nd, 2004 04:00

bicyclebill1,

You may wish to check your EULA.

From my OfficeXP ver. 10.6501.6626:

"General License Grant to Install and Use Software Product. You may install and use one copy of the Software Product on a single computer, device, workstation, terminal, or other digital electronic or analog device ("Device"). You may make a second copy of the Software Product and install it on a portable Device for the exclusive use of the person who is the primary user of the first copy of the Software Product. A license for the Software Product may not be shared."

Marc

623 Posts

June 22nd, 2004 10:00

Thanks! I guess that means it's a go for my desktop in addition to my laptop.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Bill

No Events found!