Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2003 03:00

MS Works error message ( winword.exe)

When I try to open works or works task launcher I get this message ( winword caused a error in winword.exe works will shut down.)

I have went in and removed " normal.dot " and uninstalled and reinstalled works. I still get this message.

I need to fix this ASAP. Any help would be appericated. Thanks

206 Posts

November 5th, 2003 13:00

Your post does not state the version of Word you are using, however, shown below is a procedure relevant to the normal.dot file in Word 2000.

1. Close Word.
2. Click Start/Run.
3. Type winword /a. Note: There is a space after winword.
4. Click OK for default twice. If Word opens with no problems, then close Word.
5. Make sure Windows Explorer is set to "Show all files." In Windows 98 this option can be selected by enabling "Show all Files" in Start/Settings/Folder Options/View Tab/Files & Folders/Hidden files.
6. Click on Start/Find/Files or Folders. Type normal.dot in the Named box. The Look In box should read C:\
7. Delete or rename the file(s) found.
8. Before editing, in this case deleting from the Registry, you need to be certain of what you will be doing. Editing the Registry is a very precise procedure. Improper editing can cause serious damage to your system. It is advisable to backup the Registry prior to editing.
9. Click on Start/Run and type Regedit in the Open box. Click OK
10. In the Registry Editor click on the plus (+) signs next to
11. + HKey_Current_User
12. + Software
13. + Microsoft
14. + Office
15. + 9.0/10.0 (Or 8.0 if you have a lower version.)
16. + Word
17. Delete the Data and Options folders.
18. Close the Registry and reopen Word. The files and folders deleted or renamed will be rebuilt automatically to the default settings. If you have made changes to the normal.dot template file, such as macros, they will have to be re-entered.

No Events found!