Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2012 15:00

Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student, English

I purchased a new Dell Studio XPS 8100 Nov 5, 2010 and it came with Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student, English installed and Windows 7, 64 bit. It has worked fine until recently and all of a sudden Word, Excel and Power Point will not work. They will not open. I tried to get help from Microsoft and they say I need to contact Dell. I got Dell support on the phone and had a very nice man try to help. He could not uninstall the Office I had installed and could not uninstall Clik-2-Run. So he had me install another copy of Office 2010. So now I have two installations of Office 2010, the original with English on it and the second without stating English. The only way I can open Word, Excel and Power Point now is to go to programs, Microsoft Office and click on the name Word etc. Then they open. But I cannot open them from a file like I used to be able to do. I am stuck between Microsoft not wanting to help and Dell not being able to fix it. Can you offer any solution. I have tried the Uninstall and that does not work. Repair does not appear to give me that option. I have downloaded Fixit and that does not help. Please offer me some help and a solution that works.

Thanks,

Verdie Nix

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 24th, 2012 14:00

You have a few options. I will assume you have the product key for Microsoft Office:

First try to remove any Office 2010 manually as instructed here. Then reboot the computer and run CCleaner, cleaner and registry cleaner. The reboot again.

Next download either:

• Office 2010 Home and Student x86 (English) - X17-75058

• Office 2010 Home and Student x64 (English) - X17-75161

I would recommend sticking with the 64 bit version.

Alternatively you can restore your computer to factory settings back up all your data before doing this:

Power down your computer, tap F8 repeatedly as you power up. This should you to the advanced boot options:

Select repair your computer:

The bottom option should take you the factory settings. You could also try doing a system restore to a time before you had the problem with Office 2010.

Alternatively you could perform A Clean Install of Windows 7.

No Events found!