Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

5 Posts

March 18th, 2019 17:00

Microsoft Office purchases license - now subsription

Greetings,

I have several Dell PCs where we have purchased the full version of MS Office, installed on the PC. 

Some how, I have converted them to being subscription as I see those PCs listed under my Office 365 account.

The PCs are still factory install (hard drives).

Is there a way to get them back to being 'purchased products' that don't expire?  (I don't even know how I switched them over).

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 18th, 2019 18:00

How long ago did you purchase the PCs? I ask because Office 365 is a subscription based service. Office 2019 is the pay once and have it forever version. You may not have switched it, it may have been Microsoft. If you purchased Office 2019 I would contact Microsoft support to have them correct the problem.

5 Posts

March 18th, 2019 19:00

During the  past 2-5 years

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 18th, 2019 22:00

@Danbri wrote:

1. I have several Dell PCs where we have purchased the full version of MS Office, installed on the PC. 

2. Some how, I have converted them to being subscription

3. as I see those PCs listed under my Office 365 account.

1. For many years now, to activate those OEM Office licenses, you have to add them to a Microsoft Account. Are you sure that maybe ... that's all that happened?

2. I've never heard of that. Also, they would not work unless you were paying for them yearly... you would know.

3. Even with simple "pay once" Office licenses ... IIRC, some graphics or words might (confusingly ?) refer to Office-365 inside the Microsoft Account or Activation App.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln304490/how-to-find-and-activate-microsoft-office-2016-2019-365-on-your-new-dell-system?lang=en

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 19th, 2019 09:00

"full version of MS Office, installed on the PC" and not the TRIAL version would have MPI Card with key for each machine.

Dell has nothing to do with Office Licenses and never has.

If pre purchased from Dell they include a Microsoft Product Identifier Card with the Key for each Machine. There is no conversion between the 2 nor is there an upgrade from earlier version.

Microsoft ® Product Identifier (MPI) card in the original retail box.

The MPI card is used to activate a full version of Microsoft Office Home & Student.

There haven't been DISKS distributed since OFFICE 2007 for XP.

If you are unable to access your Microsoft Office or if the application has been removed, you can download the software at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/get-office-oem-download-page-FX103849951.aspx.

You will be required to sign in using your Microsoft Account, and will need to provide the product key on your MPI card before downloading the software.

Note: If your system did not include an MPI card, a 60 day trial version of Office is loaded instead.  You got to 365 because you chose NOT TO PAY for the full version  after 60 days.

My copy of Office came with my new PC

One of these versions of Office to your computer:

• Office Home & Student
  • Office Home & Business
  • Office Professional
  • Office Professional Plus

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=403691

Microsoft DownloadMicrosoft Download

MPI CARDMPI CARD

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 19th, 2019 16:00

There is no activation code on a card for Office. That was discontinued in 2016. Now it is tied to the user's MS acct.

Dell says-- Beginning December 16, 2016, if you purchased a Microsoft Office product (Office 2016, 2019, and 365) with your Dell system, you will not receive an Office product key card to activate your product. Instead, you must activate your Office product through your Microsoft Account (MSA). If you do not have an MSA, you will be directed to create one the first time you open any Office application.

from -- https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln304490/how-to-find-and-activate-microsoft-office-2016-2019-365-on-your-new-dell-system?lang=en 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 20th, 2019 06:00

The customer's receipt for the DELL System "Beginning December 16, 2016"  would have the license based on OFFICE 2019.

A 5 year old system  with Office 2016 or 2013 or 2010 however would have an MPI Card UNLESS this was not actually purchased at the same time as the system.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 20th, 2019 06:00

The customer's receipt for the DELL System "Beginning December 16, 2016"  would have the license listed.

A 5 year old system however would have an MPI Card UNLESS this was not actually purchased at the same time as the system.

The OP talks about multiple systems and somehow converting to office 365 subscription.   There is no such thing as a permanent license that converts to subscription.

No Events found!