Highlighted
svgd1951
1 Copper

Moving of Backup FOLDER elsewhere !!

Jump to solution

I am 64 yrs. old, retired person and am not a techy.    

Yesterday, I have, with the help of DELL software, created, a BACKUP FOLDER  on my system i.e. DELL Inspiron 15 3000 series - Model 3542 – Black.  

The folder named Profile-1 is containing 30gb.

My doubt now here is -

can I move  the folder  to another location i.e. either external hard drive  ?   

another drive i.e. partition drive created within this system ?

can  I  do both OR

Elese, I can not move the folder any where at all.

If I move the folder else where i.e. another partition drive within the hard disk OR external hard disk,

how will I be able to make / restore the data in case of need.  Please advise.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mary G
6 Indium

RE: Moving of Backup FOLDER elsewhere !!

Jump to solution

You should NOT create a backup folder on the same hard drive you are backing up. Backups are for when the hard drive fails. When the hard drive fails the backups are gone. Save backups on removable thumb drives, cd-dvd disks or the best option--external hard drive. Recovery boot media should be made to access the backups on the external hard drive if the computer cannot be booted normally. You should be prompted to make recovery/ repair disks on separate media to boot the computer. Also make ordinary copies of your personal files--photos, music, docs etc--on removable media--not backups since copies can always be available without using any backup program.

Make new backups on external media instead of moving anything.  Also note that Windows has its own backup program that you can use. Search for Backup in Control Panel to access it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mary G
6 Indium

RE: Moving of Backup FOLDER elsewhere !!

Jump to solution

You should NOT create a backup folder on the same hard drive you are backing up. Backups are for when the hard drive fails. When the hard drive fails the backups are gone. Save backups on removable thumb drives, cd-dvd disks or the best option--external hard drive. Recovery boot media should be made to access the backups on the external hard drive if the computer cannot be booted normally. You should be prompted to make recovery/ repair disks on separate media to boot the computer. Also make ordinary copies of your personal files--photos, music, docs etc--on removable media--not backups since copies can always be available without using any backup program.

Make new backups on external media instead of moving anything.  Also note that Windows has its own backup program that you can use. Search for Backup in Control Panel to access it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos