Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 20th, 2006 14:00

Optiplex 725 sound drivers?

Hi there,

We have had problems getting hold of our usual GX520 stock, so have opted to go for some of the 725s, 5 to be precise.

We are preparing our usual company Windows XP build for rollout (installed from scratch, drives formatted), but I cannot find any sound drivers (that the machines will accept).

I am using the drivers as supplied on the root of C:\ (that I have confirmed are the exact same drivers that are installed and operating on a pre-imaged dell setup (ADIHdAud.inf)) as well as downloading the updated drivers from the Dell site, but when running through the soundmax setup, I'm told that the appropriate hardware isnt installed.

In device manager this shows up as 'PCI Device'. I have done a comparison between the machines because I thought this was odd that an integrated device would show up as 'pci device', but then I'm no hardware expert.

Can anybody point me in the right direction before I have to resort to Dell telephone support?

Thanks

Steve

2.4K Posts

December 20th, 2006 18:00

hi

this a link to the driver

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R132379&SystemID=PLX_PNT_P4_745&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8639&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=175905

Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio
Driver
Release Title: Audio: Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated HD Audio, Driver, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows XP x64, Multi Language, OptiPlex 745, v.5.10.x.4542, A01
Release Date: 14/09/2006
Criticality: Recommended
Description: Analog Devices HD Audio driver

By downloading, you accept the terms of the Dell Software License Agreement.

File Name File Size Download Time (56K) File Format
R132379.EXE 11 MB 28.5 min Hard-Drive
Download Now

Add to My Downloads

FTP Download

Criticality
Recommended Dell recommends applying this update during your next scheduled update cycle. The update contains feature enhancements or changes that will help keep your system software current and compatible with other system modules (firmware, BIOS, drivers and software).

Additional Information
No information available.

Important Information
No information available.

Fixes and Enhancements
Initial Release

Installation Instructions
Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with Setup.exe File for R132379.EXE

Download

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In:
window appears.
3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R132379.EXE.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R132379. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R132379 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2006 07:00

Thanks for trying to be helpful, but I'm not sure you read the message correctly. That very driver simply will not install.

HOWEVER!

I had a breakthrough last night by using a Dell Resource SP2 cd that was supplied with the GX520's (no cds are supplied with the 725's) and it suddenly worked!

This is the first time I've had these kind of issues with Dell (Sony and HP is par for the course)

2.4K Posts

December 30th, 2006 01:00

OptiPlex 725? Don't you mean 745?

13 Posts

January 5th, 2007 17:00

I'm having the same issue with the Optiplex 745 and my companies XP SP2 workstation image that was developed for all our dell Optiplex GX workstations.  After imaging, the sound card appears as an Unknown PCI device, the only method of resolution i've found thus far is to remove the PCI Device and restart the system, allowing the audio driver to then be installed.

I cannot, however, get it working with a driver add-on image.  I've read on other forums pertaining to Vista that a work-around is to uninstall the existing soundmax audio driver before running sysprep ... something that I am going to try out and will let you know.

Terry

Message Edited by nuttyrat on 01-05-200701:20 PM

2 Posts

January 8th, 2007 12:00

We are having the same problems.  We use the unattended.txt, and have the same issue.  Dell?  can you comment?

3 Posts

January 8th, 2007 14:00

I did indeed mean 745 instead of 725. I have no idea how I managed to make that mistake!

Anyway, the workaround (installing SP2 from a Dell Resource cd) is causing a major annoyance when rolling the images:

It determines that the Select product key my organisation uses is invalid and makes you input the one on the Dell OEM sticker on the side of the machine. THEN you have to activate windows when you boot up for the first time.

It is frustrating and will turn into a major problem whenever we plan on buying more stock (which will probably be soon)

15 Posts

January 8th, 2007 14:00

When using R132379.EXE for a 745 I am also having a problem installing drivers.

I am sysprepping the image and pointing

OemPnPDriversPath="SMAXWDM\W2K_XP"

27 Posts

January 9th, 2007 14:00

You have to run the below patch KB835221 before it will support the newer hardware. Make sure to include qfe in the same directory as the patch. Both files are included when you extract the dell drivers in the i386\KB835221\2K_XP\ENU folder (if you downloaded english).

KB835221.exe
qfe.exe

2 Posts

January 9th, 2007 15:00

We are talking about unattended installs.  This is happening as the OS builds, not after the OS is up and running, where we can run some app.  All of the machines since GX1's (when we first started using unattended installs) work fine, picking up the drivers as the OS builds...

If the soundcard drivers need an app run in Windows to make them work, then Dell needs to find another source for it's soundcards in it's business class machines where running an app on 300 PC's is somewhat unrealistic.

I would be interested in how the drivers are being incorporated by Dell's new partner Altiris, into their Windows packages. 

Dell?  Dell?

13 Posts

January 9th, 2007 17:00

My attempt to do this with the sound card uninstalled unfortunatly did not work ... i'll keep working at it though and let you know.

Terry

27 Posts

January 9th, 2007 20:00

I've done it as an unattended installation using BDD which I've then sysprep'd. I've added the patch in the SP2Updates.cmd and also added the drivers to the appropriate folders and altered unattend and sysprep.ini.

The drivers will NOT work until Windows XP is patched. This is a deficiency in XP not the drivers themselves.

Here is the section I added to SP2Updates.cmd. Making sure both the patch and the qfe file were available in the below location.

REM Install KB835221 for XP SP2
Echo Installing KB835221 for XP SP2
"M:\Source\XPPro\SP2Hotfixes\KB835221.exe" /q /n /z
Echo Installed KB835221 for XP SP2, rc=%ERRORLEVEL% >>%systemroot%\setuplog1.log

10 Posts

January 15th, 2007 23:00

Hi RhysJD

I understand that you patch XP during the set-up process. We are using RIS. Does this apply? Where in the RIS process is the patch loaded as opposed to the OEM drivers? Thanks.

I have tried to manually install and have obtained the full driver set from Dell's site, but when I run the setup from it, it terminates with the dreaded "Can't find HD Audio bus driver". I have tried to load the KB 835221 exe file too, but it made no difference.

What is Dell's recommended way of rolling out this sound driver in an unattended set-up?

27 Posts

January 16th, 2007 12:00

Unfortunately, I'm not familar with RIS. I've used other imaging methods in the past and am now using BDD which is a scripted installation. Is there a part of RIS where you can put in security patches? This is where I would add it.

I know the patch needs to be applied first before the drivers will do anything. This is what enabled XP to install support for the bus driver. Then it needs the drivers.

I did run into a problem just running the patch in that it required the qfe file to extract the patch since for whatever reason MS didn't make it self extracting.

27 Posts

January 16th, 2007 12:00

Google didn't return much either except people asking the same questions.

13 Posts

January 16th, 2007 14:00

I'll have to try this patch on my base image then ... i'll let you know how that works.
No Events found!