Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2012 13:00

PC Checkup Results

I have a 6 year old Dell E310 Dimension.  It is working well.  I read on support.dell that I should run this PC Checkup.  After running it has two errors.  There are links.  I expected to have the information I need to pop up.  This was a bad assumption.  On the "Help" page I typed in my errors, Targeted Read Test and Smart Short Self Test.  Surprise, there are no results.  How is one to solve the problems that the PC Checkup finds if there is no information on them??  So I came here.  I am hoping someone knows what these errors are and how I should fix them.  There errors are on the C drive which only has 1GB free.  I have two additional harddrives installed.  I mostly use them.  Could these errors be connected to the full C drive?  If no, do I need to worry about these errors?  Please help!!  Thank you

14 Posts

July 5th, 2012 14:00

Hi ,

Welcome to the Community.

There are no issues to be worried about, however if you get any error message please do reply to the same post so that we can analyze on the same.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Shiv_R

Dell Social Media Responder

8 Posts

July 5th, 2012 17:00

Thank you for the reassurance.  If I receive any errors I will be back!

Thank you!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 6th, 2012 13:00

hmtt,

Please run the full diagnostics and report back any error messages. How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Rick

8 Posts

July 7th, 2012 17:00

I ran the Express Test.  It was error free.  I used the Symptom Tree and ran the Hard Drive Errors test.  This test tested and IDE Disk, which I think is C, and two SATA Disks, which I think are my added hard drives.  The IDE was error free.  One of the SATA's had errors.  The errors were during the Read Test and the Verify Test.  The Read test had an error code 650F:0244 msg: block 99048964: uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.  The verify test error said the same thing except it had a different error code 650F:1A44.  Is this a problem?

Can you tell from the serial number the size of the hard drive?   These tests gave me: SATA Disk SN=S0DEJ1KL811675.  If I know the size then I know which hard drive I need to be concerned with.

Thank you very much!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 7th, 2012 19:00

hmtt,

You restarted the computer and pressed F12 at startup and selected the diagnostic partition, correct? It should give you a different error code that you can tell tech support. Try it again and report back the error code. (Might be a 1000 or 2000 number)

Rick

8 Posts

July 7th, 2012 20:00

Yes, I restarted the computer and pressed F12 at startup and selected the diagnostic partition.  I followed the directions exactly.  These are the codes it gave me when the test stopped and asked if I wanted to continue.  I wrote down everything that was in the notice and selected to continue the test.  Are the test results saved?  I do remember seeing a tab for the test results.  Can I go back to this tab to look for a different error code?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 7th, 2012 21:00

hmtt,

I'm surprised that you didn't get the error, like 2000-0146 or similar.

Try reading these two threads.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19392978/19916991.aspx

and

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/p/18715494/18838480.aspx#18838480

From what I'm seeing, your hard drive is failing. Backup all files and folders ASAP.

If under warranty, contatc Dell.

Rick

8 Posts

July 8th, 2012 06:00

How do I know which hard drive has the errors?  I have three, C and two added ones.  Is the online Back Up through Dell a good option?

8 Posts

July 8th, 2012 11:00

I started again.  After F12, I had the option for Boot to Utility Partition or Hard Drive Diagnostics (and others).  Yesterday, I selected Boot to Utility to receive the above errors.  Today, I selected Hard Drive Diagnostics.  It said Drive 0 "Fail return code: 7".  As usual, the search on support.dell for Return Code: 7 gave no results.   (I am so glad I have you to talk to!!)  I assume Drive 0 is my C drive, which I am copying onto one of my other hard drives.  I hope I can just copy and paste.  Meanwhile, I am searching Dell Support.

I think Dell no longer offers the Back Up service.  Which back up do you prefer: DVD, external HD or an online service?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 8th, 2012 12:00

hmtt,

You should make copies of files and folders that you cannot afford to lose, like documents picutures, etc. This should be a normal practice. Look at it, if your hard drive failed today, would you have the files and folders you need.

I have put the fildes and folders on DVD's for the children and I have some on DVD's and and external flash drive. An External Hard drive is also a way to keep files and folders.

If your system is under warranty, contact Dell tech Support to have the hard drive replaced. If not under warranty, you need to get a new hard drive, unless you swap hard drives and put the operating system on one of the other hard drives.

Do you have the operating system disks?

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Rick

8 Posts

July 8th, 2012 13:00

I bought my Dell in 2006.  I have a Reinstallation CD for Windows XP, Drivers and Utilities CD, and a couple Application CD's that came with my computer.  Do I need anything else?  I guess now I need to shop for a new hard drive.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 8th, 2012 14:00

hmtt,

New hard drive, screwdriver and some time to reinstall the operating system and all the updates, then the software installation.

Rick

8 Posts

July 8th, 2012 15:00

Sounds like fun!  I would still love to know what the errors mean.  I guess that will stay a mystery.

Thank you for your invaluable help!!  

No Events found!