Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

January 13th, 2007 19:00

Problems Transferring Outlook Express to Outlook 2003

Here's the situation:  I had a Dell Inspiron 2650 with all my email in Outlook Express.  After 4 years, it's starting to get slow and fussy, so I bought a Dell Inspiron E 1505 with Outlook 2003.

How do I get all my email contacts and email files into Outlook 2003?

I was able to get my contacts into Outlook 2003 through exporting from OE into a .csv file and then importing back in (!!!!), I found it absurd that *Outlook* 2003 didn't have an option to import the address book from *Outlook* Express!!!  Um, aren't they made by the same company???

So now I'm trying to import the .dbx files from OE into O2003.  I *do* have the Folders.dbx file in the same directory as the .dbx files, and I *do* have all the read-only's removed.  It still doesn't work.  Any help, anyone?

Problem 2:  Not so much of a problem as a preference.  Okay, I like to have a different profile than my wife.  Different internet options, different programs, different setup.  But we use the same email.  With Outlook Express, I was able to finagle it to do that, I just pointed both to the same common directory.

(1)  Is this such a strange request??  Don't they have secretaries who open their boss' email for them?

(2)  How would I do this??

Thanks to everyone in advance!!

4.4K Posts

January 14th, 2007 01:00

You can import the mail and contacts from just about any program into Outlook.  While in Outlook, go to File > Import and Export.

Then in your case, select "Import from another program or file".
Then select "Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x,  6.x"
Then select the Internet Mail Client which in your case is OE.

Then just follow the directions.

Problem 2

Create a folder such as C:\Outlook.  Then put the PST file and point both copies of outlook 2003 to it.  Then you both will be using the same email file and still be able to use your own settings.

2 Posts

January 14th, 2007 01:00

>>Then in your case, select "Import from another program or file".
>>Then select "Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x,  6.x"
>>Then select the Internet Mail Client which in your case is OE.

OK, then I get "Import Warning: No internet accounts were found to import."  I click "OK"

Then I get "Microsoft Office Outlook:  Woudl you like to import e-mail messages and addresses from Microsoft Outlook Express?"  I click "Yes"

I get a "Browse for Folder".  I point it to the folder that has all the *.dbx files, including the Folders.dbx.  The Folder Name is "Outlook Express".  I click "OK".

It flashes really quickly, and I do *not* get all my old saved emails.

Am I doing something incorrectly?

Problem 2:  I did it, and it work, thanks so much!!!!

4.4K Posts

January 14th, 2007 04:00

You can import the mail and contacts from just about any program into Outlook.  While in Outlook, go to File > Import and Export.

The next screen should have asked you what Mail Account you want to import.  Did you delete the account setup from OE?  If you did, go back and set it up so that Outlook knows what it is importing.

11.9K Posts

January 14th, 2007 13:00

Bay Wolf wrote:

The next screen should have asked you what Mail Account you want to import.  Did you delete the account setup from OE?  If you did, go back and set it up so that Outlook knows what it is importing.

The issue here appears to be that OE on the new computer was never setup, so there are no "accounts".  I find it easiest to move from OE to OE, THEN run the Outook import and it actually goes and grabs everything.

4.4K Posts

January 15th, 2007 03:00

Rick, I believe you are correct.

1 Message

February 20th, 2007 22:00

I have windows Vista and I have my dbx files.  I have a trial version of outlook 2003 and it won't import my outlook express files (dbx files on my new computer with Vista).  I don't have a copy of outlook express handy.  Dell puts all programs on a computer pack and I don't know which disk has it on it out how to install it individaully.

Can someone point me where to download outlook express or how to import my dbx files?  I did the import from outlook express and pointed to the folder with my dbx files.  (this failed and said nothing).   Do I need outlook express or can I just have folder.dbx and my other folders and have it work?

thanks,

Jared

Message Edited by jared71 on 02-20-2007 07:01 PM
No Events found!