Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2013 03:00

Querying Dell system information using serial number via API

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm putting this post in the correct place but here goes anyway.

Is it possible to query system information using a Dell serial through some kind of API? I'm creating a reporting solution for our internal IT systems and I have the serials of all of our Dell products. I know you can input these as a list or individually but I am looking for something more automated.

Thanks,

James

3.1K Posts

January 18th, 2013 03:00

Hi James,

If you are looking for system configuration, then you may use 'msinfo32' in the run window (Windows + r) to get relevant information. Alternatively, you can use Dell Support Center.

Please reply if you have any questions.

3 Posts

January 18th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually looking to do this for a large number of machines programmatically so this method isn't appropriate for this.

Thanks,

James

3.1K Posts

January 18th, 2013 05:00

Hi James,

Thank you for the response.

It seems that you want to access the system information for a set of computer's on a network. You may refer to the link below for help: http://bit.ly/ndYrbN 
However, the best way to access information is through 'msinfo32' for each computer.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 02:00

Thanks,

I have the information from the machine already. It is additional information from Dell that I am after. Basically, what gets returned when you enter your service tag into the Dell Support Centre.

3.1K Posts

January 23rd, 2013 04:00

Hi James,

Unfortunately, there isn't any method or command Dell can provide that can give system details for multiple systems. You can go to our support site, type the service tag of the computer. click on 'System Configuration'. This would give the original system configuration. Additional information can be viewed from Dell Support Center for individual systems.

March 12th, 2018 13:00

James,

It's been 5 years since you posted.  But, in case other people stumbling on this page give up hope...

There is an API that provides most of what you need.  You'll need to be subscribed to TechDirect ( http://techdirect.dell.com ) and apply for an API key.

1 Message

October 6th, 2021 04:00

Hi @rpertusioH 

I am researching for the solution on this enquiry as well.
I have tried to go to TechDirect but couldn't find much details even after registration. 

Anyone has something definitive to confirm this can be achieved?

Thanks in advance,
Ching-sean

1 Message

February 20th, 2024 20:15

Hello,

I am under the same quest. I searched through the API documentation and found nothing.

Has this endpoint been enabled for programmatic requests?

Thanks in advance,

Julian Garcia

No Events found!