Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2009 08:00

Recent Office Downloads & Outlook 2007 on XP O.S.

On 14/11/09 Outlook 2007 crashed but Word & Excel remain sound. Event viewer displays Microsoft Office 12 session, event 7001. Around the same time several automatic updates were delivered. The Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (KB975960) and The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2), Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB967642) have failed despite repeat installation attempts. Outlook will not open in safe operating system mode nor safe program mode. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook several times without success. Have run scanpst.exe without success. Restoring to an earlier time not possible despite trying to do so..

1. Could there be a connection between these events please?
  2. How does one change a 'failed' download to a succeed', please?
  3. Are there further techniques to successfully reinstall Outlook short of a clean re-installation of the O.S?

All helpful advice most gratefully received. Thank you.

12.7K Posts

November 17th, 2009 11:00

Rather than reinstall, did you try a Repair of Outlook using the Office disc?

4 Posts

November 17th, 2009 12:00

Thank you for your reply. Yes I did try Repair using the Office disc but without success.

I have created a new user profile on the same computer & Outlook 2007 works normally under the new profile.  Hopefully this will assist a clever person to tell what needs to be done to enable the original user profile to work normally with Outlook 2007? Thanks.

12.7K Posts

November 17th, 2009 13:00

Most likely the best solution is to move to the new profile.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 17th, 2009 15:00

There have been a number of other recent posts on these forums where Outlook 2007 stopped working with an exisiting profile but will work with a newly created one. Sure sounds like one of the updates did "sum-thin" bad.

Log in with the old profile and give permission to the new profile to take ownership of the files/folders belonging to the old profile.  Then you can delete that old profile. Though you might want to keep it around for a while longer to make sure you granted ownership of everything to the the new profile and didn't overlook anything.

If you're using XP, click Start>Help and Support. Type "ownership" (without the quotes) in the search box at top left of the screen  and then click on the link Take ownership of a file or folder for instructions on taking ownership.

Ron

4 Posts

November 18th, 2009 07:00

There have been a number of other recent posts on these forums where Outlook 2007 stopped working with an exisiting profile but will work with a newly created one. Sure sounds like one of the updates did "sum-thin" bad.

Log in with the old profile and give permission to the new profile to take ownership of the files/folders belonging to the old profile.  Then you can delete that old profile. Though you might want to keep it around for a while longer to make sure you granted ownership of everything to the the new profile and didn't overlook anything.

If you're using XP, click Start>Help and Support. Type "ownership" (without the quotes) in the search box at top left of the screen  and then click on the link Take ownership of a file or folder for instructions on taking ownership.

Ron

Ron

Well & truly "sum thiin" bad! Also helpful  Backup from old user account & Restore to new user account. Many thanks. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 18th, 2009 12:00

You liked what I said so much, you quoted me twice! :emotion-4:

I dunno what Microsoft did to profiles so Outlook (and/or Microsoft Word, for some users) doesn't work, but so far the only solution I've seen is to create the new profile and taking ownership of the files.

Ron

No Events found!