Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 17th, 2012 03:00

Reinstalation Microsoft Office

My computer recently had to be restored to factory settings. When I got it back I wanted to reload Microsoft Office Professional 2010 that was originally preinstalled on the computer. Was told by Dell support that since this was a full restore there was no way to get Office Professional back, I would have to buy new! I Bought this computer in 2009 and have had Mcafee protection on it from day one. Wow anyone got $500? This makes me want to research other computer company's ploicies. I have always bought Dell. My warrenty is expired so I'm guessing that is the primary reason for not allowing me a new install. Just would have been a good customer service move to have that software available at no charge or even a minimal fee for situations like this. But I do understand that Companies make great profit capitalizing on both the ignorance and misfortune of it's consumers. This is one of them.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 17th, 2012 06:00

Hi Ronprev32 

You should of received a product key on a card (so called MPI card, see video here or text here) with your unit. If you have this card then it is simply a case of downloading the installer and entering in your product key. Either 32 or 64 bit depending on your OS and preference (keys are interchangeable between 32 and 64 bit versions):

• Office 2010 Professional Plus x86 (English) - X17-75238

• Office 2010 Professional Plus x64 (English) - X17-75612

Note this is not the same as the product key on the Windows COA attached to the base of your unit.

Did you factory restore or clean install windows via the Dell Reinstallation DVD. I recommend the clean install, follow my wiki A Clean Install of Windows for best results. Also is it Windows 7, Vista or XP?

I have seen this problem before and put forth an Idea on IdeaStorm here to prevent it, not many people voted on the idea so it wasn't taken seriously (It may or may not, as it is archived now adding your vote).

If you don't have this card, you may be out of luck. However as this is a grey area very much between Dell and Microsoft. You may try, phoning Microsoft Product Activation here, they may give you a new key if you can provide a receipt of your system. If you don't have that then you can go to the Dell Support Website, then select system configuration:

Then input your service tag and create a pdf print out of the original configuration (expanding all the categories):

To create a pdf print out, install a pdf printer such as cutepdf writer. I don't know if this will suffice for them but I think it should.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2012 15:00

Thank you so much!!! I really thought I was out of luck on this one. You were a great help!!!. My faith is restored !!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 17th, 2012 16:00

Excellent news glad you got your Office 2010 back. Did you have the MPI card or did you call Microsoft?

No Events found!