Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2013 18:00

[SOLVED] How to disable Dell Datasafe Local Backup

The "Dell Datasafe Local Backup" program that appears in the system tray on new Dell computers is not started in any of the ways traditionally used in Windows.  Because of this, the proper way to keep it from running on startup is not well-known, and most of the advice I found on the Internet suggests either uninstalling the program completely, or intentionally crippling it by moving, deleting, or renaming one or another of the files or folders it uses.  Instead, the proper way to disable it is to turn off the "SoftThinks Agent Service" using the services control panel - specifically, by changing the Startup type for this service from "Automatic (Delayed Start)" to "Manual".  I post this info here in the hopes that other people will benefit from this information, and to stop the proliferation of bad advice such as what I found when looking for my solution.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2014 08:00

Your solution is greatly appreciated.  I don't use the Dell DataSafe local backup, and it seemed to bog down the startup process.  Thank you.

7 Posts

February 19th, 2014 11:00

Glad to know that I helped someone.  BTW, I marked your reply as the "answer" to my "question" because the forum won't allow me to mark the original post itself as an answer.

1 Message

September 25th, 2014 10:00

Very Much Obliged !

2 Posts

February 19th, 2014 14:00

Well, you certainly helped me!  Keep up the good work, and Thanks.

4 Posts

April 18th, 2014 08:00

Cannot thank you enough!! 

44 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 18:00

I followed these steps and it stopped my computer from being so busy. Thank you.

I am wondering though that by disabling this I have defeated the point of having the program installed. I was hoping for a settings menu where I could tell it to run less often.

If I have this disabled does the program do any good?

1 Message

January 2nd, 2016 03:00

Very useful thanks. It never caused me a problem before WIn10 but it seemed to one of a number of things that held up the system after the upgrade. Has anyone else found this?

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 08:00

Thanks!  Extremely helpful.

2 Posts

October 8th, 2016 09:00

Excellent advice - thanks. Some people seem to experience problems earlier than others. Does this depend on the PC/laptop specifications as well as the OS and its updates installed?

2 Posts

October 8th, 2016 09:00

The slow start up and disk activity problem began when my laptop started to download the anniversary Win10 update last month.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2017 14:00

Thanks so much. disabling "SoftThinks Agent Service" done. Hoping this will stop starting Dell Datasafe Local Backup & Dell Datasafe online on my windows 10 because I don't use it.

1 Message

September 24th, 2017 06:00

Brilliant, thanks, saved me from more hours of head-scratching.

1 Message

April 12th, 2019 08:00

OMG!  It's 2019 and this solution is still relevant.  I thought I had DataSafe shut up, but it recently started popping up again. And telling it "Don't ask me again" just resulted in it immediately asking me again.  So glad I found your post!  I would have never associated "Dell Datasafe" with "SoftThinks Agent".

Thank you!

1 Message

September 29th, 2019 10:00

Didn't have the SoftThink process in Services.

Was able to remove the Dell DataSafe Backup with this command.

Uninstaller: "C:\Program Files (x86) \InstallShield Installation Information\{0ED7EE95-6A97-47AA-AD73-152C08A15B04}\setup.exe" -runfromtemp -l0x9 -removeonly

No Events found!