Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

December 7th, 2009 14:00

Strange issue with Recovery Partition Hiding Itself after Windows 7 Upgrade, and other Windows 7 recovery issues.

Attn Dell: This post was deleted and is now reposted.  If you delete it again PLEASE let me know what part of this post is in violation of your policies!  I re-read it, and the only part I could see you might be referring to is the asterisks?

Hello: This is a strange issue. I ran Vista on my Studio XPS 1640 for two months, and the recovery partition always showed as "D" in my computer. After I upgraded to Windows 7 with the Dell Upgrade disk, the recovery partition seemed to disappear. I was poking around and I found that in computer management I could view the recovery partition. I assigned it a drive letter of "D" and it showed up again in my computer, I opened it a few times and looked at the icons and warning not to mess with it because it's the Dell recovery partition (LOL). Then a few minutes later, the drive letter D dropped off it again and it hid again. Yet it is still viewable in computer management>disk management. Strange!

Other related issues, I made a recovery DVD using Dell Datasafe Local Backup (Thankfully). Since the Windows 7 upgrade it says Dell Datasafe Local is still installed but it will not work, and no place I can find to download it again to reinstall it (Maybe it doesn't work right with Windows 7?) I called Dell support, and they said to ignore that the recovery partition is now hidden. But I would like to know why this is like this.

Lastly, Dell Support said you still can't order system specific Dell recovery disks with the exact software that came on your computer. Yet online it says you can order Dell system specific recovery disks. And, if that's true, if they can send a free upgrade disk for Windows 7, why can't they just send a system specific recovery disk for the system that has the same basic thing as after you run the upgrade disk? In other words, a DVD that would recover the machine directly to all the factory installed software, but with Windows 7 instead of Windows Vista? They must have that exact image, because they sell in on the brand new 1640's!!! I wish someone could explain that one to me.

UPDATE:

I was checking into a few Windows 7 glitches last night and I found two other things out.

The reason that ATI Catylyst Control Center (ATI CCC) was not reinstalled after I removed it to install Windows 7 is that ATI does not have a final version for Windows 7 yet, per their website.  They had a version for Windows 7 beta version but not for the release version yet.

I found a patch for the Dell Datasafe Local Backup program on Dell's Windows 7 section of their website under "emerging issues."  That fixed that app perfectly.  I still can't find anyplace you can download the entire app, so don't remove the program from your system, just download and install the patch.  After you download it, you have another step after double clicking on the package, you have to double click a green icon in a window that pops up after the files extract.

I had to manually remove Dell Datasafe Online, download the latest version, and manually re-install it to get rid of a popup message that said a newer version is available.

Also, FYI, Dell Datasafe Online and Dell Datasafe Local Backup are related, but they are two seperate programs,

L.

No Responses!
No Events found!