Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2009 17:00

System keeps going into Standby Mode for no apparent reason.

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

It goes into Stand by Mode every day!!!!

System keeps going into Standby Mode for no apparent reason.

I have changed the button cell battery

I have change the surge protector

I have change the monitor

I have even taken it to a repair shop, but the system does not go

into stand by mode for them!!!!.... 

I have set it to never go into Stand-by mode or any other...

-Only have it set to: Always ON Mode.

I have other things connected to the surge protector, but they work fine, no problem. I have not installed anything new to the system.

I have a Dell XPS 200 over 3 years old (bought 6/06).

When I put it into standby mode, I can wake it up by moving the mouse and no problem. It is not Hibernation Mode.

It stated doing this on 7/17/09 -- 12:45pm -- 9/12/09 -- 2:58 pm

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Please advise and Thanks

A.Alma

3 Posts

September 22nd, 2009 14:00

My Inspiron 9300 is also going into standby randomly and has been doing so for the last several months.  Today (9/22/2009) it has gone into standby 5 times (a new record).  Generally it will happen when I'm not actively working on the machine (on the phone or discussing something with a co-worker), but it has gone into standby while I've been typing or moving/clicking the mouse.

At work it's always plugged up and is on for 9-10 hrs a day.  I have no screen saver.  My power settings are set turn off hard disk after 30 minutes, monitor after 3 hours, and hibernate after 6 hrs.  This machine is in constant use, so these settings should never come into play.  Regardless, I'm going to change these settings to "Never" to see if this solves the problem.

Jim.

282 Posts

September 23rd, 2009 00:00

Is the computer hot?  Could it be that it is over heating and shutting down because of that?  Mine was running hot and shut down a couple of times from that but it gave me a warning that was why.

I finally found my compressed air duster and scraped the dust off the vent holes and then blew the dust out of the insides, blowing into any holes to the inside that I could find.  A bunch of dust flew out. Since then it is running nice and cool.

282 Posts

September 23rd, 2009 00:00

Computers can be weird and do things that puzzle us, but there is a reason, although it may take us awhile to figure it out.  Since you have a date when it started, I would try to think back to what changed on that date that it started doing that.  Did you update any software?  Add new programs?  Try to get your mind about what changed for the computer on that date that it started.  That might help to figure it out.  of course it could be a couple of other issues.

Also what is different about your home setup and the setup in the repair shop?

Also, is the computer hot?  Mine was having problems overheating and it shut down a couple of times to protect itself.  I finally found my compressed air duster and blew it out, starting with the screen in the vent windows.  A lot of dust flew out. Since then it had been working cooler and hasn't shut down on its own.

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2009 06:00

I don't think heat is the issue, but I will keep that in mind over the next few days.  I'll also look at trying to clean out any dust that's accumulated.

Thanks for your reply.

3 Posts

April 7th, 2010 13:00

The problem has disappeared since I stopped leaving my Blackberry on the laptop.  I use a external keyboard and mouse at work and place the laptop on a short monitor stand in front of me.  My laptop is an Inspiron 9300, so it has a large area for resting your hands/palms while typing.  I would typically lay my Blackberry on that area for convenience.

I had noticed that the computer rarely went into standby (it did once or twice) while I was actively using the computer.  Then, it went into standby shortly after I received a text message one afternoon.  On a lark, I restarted the machine and moved my blackberry to the edge of my desk, about 2 feet from the computer.

I went several weeks without incident until one day, it went into standby after receiving a text. I had forgotten and left my blackberry on the computer.

Coincidence?  Could be.

My phone is a BB 8310.  We have AT&T service.

My desk phone (Cisco IP) speaker also chatters when my bkackberry is too close to it.  This made me think that perhaps the phone was interfering with my laptop.

No Events found!