Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 18th, 2011 07:00

Toaster.exe

I noticed this consuming 18000 menory and wondered if this is Dells's data safe backup.

I never use it as I use Acronis so wondered if there was a way to reduce the consumption by disabling the program.

I don't think removing is a good idea as it may damage something else -or not?

Thank you

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 18th, 2011 09:00

A google search for "toaster.exe" does not show anything.  If that is the correct name, it may be malware/spyware and in that case run a complete spyware scan as a first step.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 21st, 2011 18:00

This process belongs to Dell DataSafe Local Backup.
* Open the control panel
* Double click on the Administrative Tools
* Double click on the Services
* Scroll down and find the SoftThinks Agent Service
* Change the startup type to Disabled
* Click OK
* Restart your computer

126 Posts

December 21st, 2011 23:00

i actually got lots of results for that toaster.exe and they mainly associate it with A.O.L......toaster.exe is a process from AOL. It can be found in the location of C:\Program

Files\wanadoo. toaster.exe is a potential security risk which can be modified

maliciously by virus. toaster.exe virus should be disabled and removed if it

was attacked and brought you toaster.exe error.

1 Message

March 24th, 2013 20:00

I did what you stated to do in your message regarding the toaster.exe   It didn't stop the process of it coming up every time I start the computer.  I rechecked and the service SoftThinks Agent Service is disabled.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks, Karen71262

1.8K Posts

March 24th, 2013 23:00

Hi Karen71262,

You may perform a clean boot to remove the unnecessary programs from the start up and services. For more information on this, you can refer to link: http://bit.ly/Vi0QXe  

If the issue persists, you may uninstall the Dell Datasafe local from the control panel. For more information on this, you may refer to video: http://bit.ly/139T73B 

You may download and re-install the same compatible with windows Vista and Windows 7 from the link below: http://bit.ly/jmNmZt 

Please share the findings.

June 15th, 2016 05:00

This is a non-answer.  Is TOASTER.EXE a part of the Dell Backup that is required or is it junkware?  Yes or No.  Removing it depends on the answer to the first question.

Thank you.

30 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 08:00

100%, I know FOR SURE, toaster.exe IS ABSOLUTELY in Dell BackUp and Recovery.  DBAR really messes up Dell Computers propriety version of Microsoft Windows/Dell Operating Systems.  You need a super uninstaller; you also have to get rid of Soft Thinks (also Dell's).  Doing these things will completely corrupt the tray, the tray cache, the tray icons--hidden and NOT hidden.  Then you will need to get a batch file program (from a reliable source--such as Seven Forums, Eight Forums, etc.--); download this batch file and run it.  I had to pay a very savvy technical support person to do all of this.  After getting rid of all of this Dell stuff--my computer has been running, PERFECTLY.  YOU can never get rid of every reference, appearance, etc. of toaster.exe unless and until you do ALL of these things.

FWIW--I saw all the references on my own  very extensive research all over the internet about toaster.exe.  It is NOT malware, virus, has nothing to do with AOL ( have never had and still do NOT have AOL anything).

No Events found!