Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2008 02:00

Word 2007 (Office Home and Student) Crash and Error Message

Hi

I am running a XPS 420 with Vista.  In the last while when working in Word and shutting it down, I have noticed the following:

1. Word stops working - Vista dialogue box appears
  2. After that a dialogue box appears stating that Word can't open the file  ~WRS{7B3771BD-CC46-485A-B786-EFB253EF30F2}

I've searched the hard drive and the Dell and Microsoft databases for this file.  No luck.  Any ideas to what this means?

Thanks

June 25th, 2008 19:00

Had the very same problem with my Dell XPS 410 running Vista Home Premium w/SP1.  It started the very same day I installed a new HP printer.  It seems lots of printer driver are *not* compatible with either Vista or Vista w/SP1.  By the way, I did confirm I have the most up-to-date driver from HP installed on my printer.

Tech forums on the internet are just littered with this same problem. 

Here's the solution that worked for me .... Went into Printers in Control Panel and selected *another* printer as the default printer.  For me it was CutePDF, a little program I have installed on my computer.  The problem was solved IMMEDIATELY.  However, when I want to print using my HP Printer, I have to remember to "select" that printer when printing. 

8 Posts

June 26th, 2008 00:00

Hi there

Seems to have worked as I shifted it to the XPS doc writer and tried to close Word a number of times with no glitch.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned earlier, know my wife and I remembering to make the switch every time we print will be more of a hassle.

Thanks again 

You're welcome!  Glad to help & share what solved the problem. 

So, did it work for you?

8 Posts

Hi there

Thanks for the tip.  I do have a HP C5280 All-in-One.  I verified I do have the up to date drivers.  Knowing my wife and I, remembering to reselect our printer will be more of an annoyance as we will most likely forget to do that.  Not that I like this as an option, but I guess we will be joining the legions of "grumble....will live with it until they fix it".

Thanks again

June 26th, 2008 01:00

I'll have the same issue with my husband.  I gave him the talk about the new procedure for the printer & got that blank stare ... LOL!

You'll get used to it in no time at all.

So glad it worked for you .... let's all just keep helping one another!  :smileyhappy:

No Events found!