Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2012 14:00

did a upgrade from dell and suddenly...

Hello i did a upgrade for my mx17r2 via the service tag when i upgraded my bios and told me to resart my pc it said "Missing operating system"

So i can't get windows 7 started.

Do i have to send my laptop to dell or can i solve that problem on my own i don't have any recovery cd's for my laptop.

Hope you can help me.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 27th, 2012 04:00

What all did you upgrade?  You have to be careful and selective with updates and check to see what the update does and if it's not applicable to your system there is no need to apply the update.  This is especially critical on the BIOS as a failed or corrupted BIOS update and the ONLY option is to replace the motherboard - there is no recovery.

There should be a Dell recovery partition on the hard drive, accessed by F8 at Power On, and that will allow restoring the PC back to the factory condition.  You can give that a try.    If it's still under warranty, contact Dell support to get assistance.

You can also try the Windows 7 "recovery console", but you need a Windows 7 disc for that (and boot from that disc).  You can download Windows 7 and create and "iso" DVD from the download and use that for the recovery console (repair) or if the Dell recovery partiton will not reinstall you can use that to reinstall Windows 7.  Download the exact same version of Windows 7 that you have and you can use the Windows 7 Product Key on the tag (usually located in the battery compartment on laptops).  

Link to Win 7 download

Info on recovery console

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 27th, 2012 12:00

Power down your PC. Then power up and tap F8 repeatedly as soon as you power up. This will take you to the advanced boot options.

You should get a screen like this. Select Last Known Good Configuration (advanced). See if that resolves your issues.

If not, repeat the above process and instead select Repair Your Computer, from the list select System Restore, pick a close time till before the problem occurred.

3 Posts

March 28th, 2012 14:00

I did a upgrade for my bios after i checked the updates from the service tag. It said it was highly recommended to get that bios update for my laptop. Then the problem started when it said to restart my laptop. I tryed to use the F8 key but does't work only the f2 and the f12 key works. I am downloading the windows home premium 64 bit atm. Cross fingers if that works if not i am screwed.

No Events found!