Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2010 06:00

facap, FastAccess Video Capture - disabled on reboot

I reviewed the forums and found 2 posts from last year on this issue, neither of which apply to me.

I am on a 2nd M17x-R2 and have been comparing the 2 HDD images I have.  HDD 0 is factory; and HDD 1 is my current setup including Skype, which I manually set to use the virtual driver.

Face recognition has always been flakey on these machines and is hit or miss which I have attributed to building biometric data and different camera angles.

When reviewing driver details on either HDD, it is reported that facap, FastAccess Video Capture is disabled.  I manually re-enable driver and reboot.  With or W/O face recognition active, the driver is disabled by windows again.

Looking to figure out why/how to keep this enabled and working currently.  It is odd that both HDD's in either M17 chassis have similar issues; especially the factory image w/o any applications added.

russell

25 Posts

July 21st, 2010 10:00

This is a non-issue and perhaps should be a sticky note.  A little sentence in the Dell FAQ on the SensibleVision states that the user cannot enable the facap, Fast Access Video Driver through Windows Device manager.  By default, this driver is disabled by the CC when not set to either Switch User or Continuous Security.

Maybe somebody new this, or perhaps it was included in an Alienware FAQ and I just missed it.

russell

211 Posts

July 21st, 2010 14:00

You are correct. Perhaps a little bit of background would help to understand this further. FaCap is a "virtual" camera driver created specifically by AlienSense. It's purpose is to provide another camera interface for other vidoe applications to use when AlienSense is set to a security mode (specifically "User Switching" or "Continuous Security") that attaches to the real camera driver full time. If you're in "Face Login" mode then FaCap isn't necessary - and hence is disabled - because the real camera driver is still available.

No Events found!