Re: "Dell Dock has stopped working" - Very annoying!

Jump to solution

Chezzi, I have tried everything.

Given your obvious knowledge, and how deep you've gone to try and resolve the problems, I probably know the answers to these already.

But humour me please, by confirming "everything" includes reinstalling/updating the wireless card drivers, and reinstalling/updating Dell Dock?

Have you also tried downloading/installing the stand-alone version of Vista SP2, rather than doing it through Windows Update?

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
Chezzi
Copper

Jump to solution

When I say I have tried wveryhting, i mean within my limited capability, I am not a computer whizz!  I have tried the various suggestions I have found on the web, ie uninstalling the LAN card and reinstalling etc, running all updates etc etc. nothing too complicated.

I have sent a reques to DELL as this machine is under warranty and let you all know the result IF  I get any help from them!

I have not tried the Vista SP2 direct, all updates have been doen via the usual WIndows update facility.

C

0 Kudos
Rat1960
Bronze

Jump to solution

Fireblade there are three issues: a) dell wireless wlan card wireless network controller stopped working and was closed. For this one I have simply stopped the service b) Dell DataSafe Online. I have not bothered with this but it goes crash and

c) DellDock. Now this one I have tried everything. Firstly on my daughter's home basic you *cannot* download from dell, see earlier in the thread, so I know it is all the one symptom. I cannot uninstall the version shipped with the machine as delldock crashes during the uninstall. The downloaded older version from dell which I can download on my dell which is running home premium has no problems with these dell utilities. She gets the issue whether or not SP2 is present or not. Delldock stopped working prior to SP2. Ofcourse I have not tried *everything* we could re-load the entire OS and all our other stuff from the disks (if I could find the home basic disks). Somewhere in the registry is a screwed up reference which I suspect does not go wrong in HP but does in HB. Besides one of the first things I tried was to copy my working delldock to her machine, so it is not actually in delldock or its dll's but in one of the vista files that it calls. As such reinstalling dell utilities is a waste of time.

0 Kudos
luke11122
Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, running windows 7 home premium 64 bit had exact same problem with dell dock, I think i have managed to fix it.  I deleted everything from both program fiels folders and the hidden program data folder that was related to dell dock.  I also had to end all related processes to completely remove them.  I then downloaded the drivers from this link:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R186613&SystemID=STUDIO1536&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=17533&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=25&fileid=262915

and it started up and is working fine.  hope this helps

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Rat1960
Bronze

Jump to solution

Luke, useful!! I am going to grap the girl's computer and try this 

0 Kudos
Rat1960
Bronze

Jump to solution

Nope. It is something to do with Vista Home Basic. You can download from www.delldock.com if like my daughter your dell toys are bust you *cannot* download from dell drivers.  I know that whatever is stopping event viewer from running is at the heart of it. There are no msdn blogs on what is causing that on my daughter's machine. If you goto c:\windows\microsoft.net and have only framework ( eg HB ) then you have the problem if you also have framework64, then you do not have the problem. I think a value in machine.config is stuffed along with a value in the registry.

0 Kudos
Chezzi
Copper

Jump to solution

Hi All, Here is the reply i have received from DELL, i havent tried it yet as we are away from home without the laptop!  I dont hold out much hope for this but may help someone:

Chezzi.

Let us first run the Preboot System Assessment (PSA) to check on your Dell laptop's hardware status. 

1.  Ensure that the computer is powered off.

2.  Press and hold <Fn> and press the power button to power the computer on.

3.  Release both buttons. The PSA diagnostics sequence begins.

4.  Make note of any PSA beep codes or PSA error codes

Please confirm if there are any changes done on your computer such as installing new software (applications/programs) and hardware before the issue started.  If there was a new hardware installed on your computer before the issue started, kindly uninstall them and check your computer's functionality.  And if there's new software installed before the issue started, please run System Restore & choose a restore point when your computer was working properly.  Kindly back up your files before performing System Restore.

For your reference, I have pasted a link to a Dell webpage which contains information on System Restore and how to go about performing it.

Restore A Computer Using System Restore In Microsoft Windows Vista http://tinyurl.com/5f8hnw

OR

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=uk&dl=false&l=en&s...=

If issue persists after running System Restore, please install the latest version of the following:

1.  Notebook System Software

2.  BIOS

3.  Chipset

For your convenience, here's the link to Dell's Drivers & Downloads : http://tinyurl.com/yb4pevs

Please install them in the order they are listed below and restart your computer after each installations. 

Kindly let us know the results of the following troubleshooting steps so that we can accurately diagnose this issue. Thank you for your patience during this process.

0 Kudos
3wheeler
Copper

Jump to solution

I only bought my laptop in July so I qualified for the Windows 7 upgrade. I did not use the DELL dock when I had Vista (only because I hardly used my laptop and was waiting for W7) however I have now upgraded my INSPIRON laptop from Vista to Windows 7.

The laptop is a 64 bit Inspiron.

I have set the DELL dock to autohide and have found that sometimes it will not appear when I start my laptop. (although I have not had any error messages)

I have a Google toolbar for Internet Explorer installed and I think this automatically puts the Google link in the lower task bar.

What I have discovered (purely by accident) is that if I click on "Google" in my lower task bar and type in DELL dock, it automatically activates the dock again.

When I typed it the first time, I was looking for information on why DELL dock was not working and, "hey presto".....another mystery solved.

Don't ask me how, I am no expert, but I hope this helps some of you out there !!    Good Luck.

0 Kudos
H3NRY
Copper

Jump to solution

It happen to me yesterday and i was all day trying to fix it but nothing, today i uninstalled and installed again and nothing, i dont know wat exactly i did but i went  to;program files/dell folder and dell dock folder and drag it to program files+86 and then close them and go to start/allprograms/ dell dock folder and double click it and it fixed it.  i hope it will work for you.

Jump to solution

satine,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Did you uninstall the program and then download from www.delldock.com  ?  What is the error if any you receive?

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
0 Kudos