Adzze
Bronze

Re: "Dell Dock has stopped working" - Very annoying!

Jump to solution

I just experienced this problem overnight.  Same symptoms - stopped working and the error reporter tool doesn't work. My laptop has a habit of updating itself while in standby mode and I found that Windows 7 (Home Premium) had restarted after a crash - Dell Dock was no longer working.

I found however that I didn't have to uninstall Dell Dock or go folder-diving, I just went to www.delldock.com and reinstalled the program and now it works again. Whew!  I still have no idea what caused the problem though.

0 Kudos
Ponting
Copper

Jump to solution

Hey guys and gals

Dell dock 15 still works http://download.cnet.com/Dell-Dock/3000-2072_4-10966816.html

Hope this helps.

Oh and if any dell service person reads this you are useless and won't be buying another dell

0 Kudos
Homskoolr
Copper

Jump to solution

Luke......I tried your link & it seems to be working! Thanks soooo much!!!!!!

0 Kudos
akaSM
Copper

Jump to solution

I found a solution for this problem that doesn't require that you downgrade the Dell Dock version.

The problem seems to be with a single file located in

C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Stardock_Corporation\DellDock.exe_Url_[some characters]

Just delete the user.config file that's in there and your dock should be working again. I have version 16a, and all that I lost for that file were the settingsfor the dock's color and position of the dock. My shortcuts were still there.

0 Kudos
Amarie_B
Bronze

Jump to solution

I uninstalled and downloaded the dell dock from CNET.com and NOT the dell dock site. It worked! Hope this helps someone else! I had previously tried system restore, uninstall/reinstall, registry clean, etc.

govboy
Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response H3NRY.  I've been trying to fix this for quite a while, and have tried lots of the solutions in this forum, but nothing worked.  I stumbled across your posting a few minutes ago, so I thought i'd give it a try.  I'm happy to report, not only is it simple.......but it works.  Thanks  

0 Kudos
govboy
Bronze

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
VSH
Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Henry!

Did you mean dragging the DellDock folder to Program Files (x86)?   If not, was it file(s) in the DellDock folder that you dragged into Program Files (x86), and if so, which files?   Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Lily 333
Copper

Jump to solution

My husband has a Dell Inspiron Zino HD that had the same problem.  I went to www.delldock.com.  They have a free download for dell dock.  I did the download and it fixed this computer.  No more Dell Dock errors.  It's worth a try and it is free.  Good luck.

mmccl004
Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, I would love some  assistance with me dell dock. one day it just stopped working (i did change the location right before the problem) and I just thought maybe if I shut down my laptop and start it up again that I wouldn't have the problem, but it's been a couple days now and I don't know to fix the problem. I opened up my guest account and that dock is working just fine. any advice?

0 Kudos