Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2011 21:00

Black and White spots on the screen

We have a 1510X model projector.  Recently white and black spots are appearing on the projected screen.  They are now increasing in number. 

Is this a sign the globe needs to be replaced or another issue altogether.

246 Posts

March 30th, 2014 14:00

Hello, This is the same issue I have on my other projectors, bad DLP chip by Texas instruments. The Models are 1209s and 1610HD, Total of three with the issue. They are out of warrantee purchased late in 2009 and dell will not extend the warrantee nor will they provide a replacement DLP chip through TI through their 5 year warrantee on the chip, if you contact TI they will refer you to Dell, I am frustrated by this because there is no resolution. The repair depot wants over 600.00 to fix each one. They have less than 500 hours on each and original lamps. I believe Dell needs to work it out with TI to cover this issue. I will not buy another Dell Branded Projector, and I will ensure everyone I know will never buy one. I have the fortunate ability to fix the unit myself but they will not even do a parts exchange. These DLP chips go defective on any brand, it is just how the manufacturer will handle the matter. Samsung replaces specific problem models free of charge and stands behind the TI warrantee even if the units are out of manufacture warrantee. Unless you purchased an extended warrantee through dell you are SOL unless there is a class action filed to fix the issue. DO NOT BUY DELL PROJECTORS!!!! Jerry

1 Message

August 20th, 2012 16:00

My projector is a few years old and I have the same problem..the dots appear to be pixels that are failing to read the info. I wish dell would respond on this issue. My projector just started doing this after my last move. Before the move it worked fine.

August 29th, 2012 07:00

Hi bwhigham,

The dots visible on projected image may be due to various reasons:

- Corrupt menu settings of projector
- Issue with projector bulb
- Configuration and settings of Input source (Computer, etc.)
- Dust accumulation on lens panel

1. Check the performance of projector screen on start up. Does the Dell logo at start up look fine?

- If the dell logo appears corrupted, we will reset the factory default settings on the Dell Projector to see if that works
- If that step fails, we need to check and reseat the bulb
- If the Dell logo appears fine, try a known-good computer or video source to the projector, if available
- If the problem gets fixed with a known good PC, the functionality of your input video source (PC, etc) needs to be checked

2. I would appreciate your answers to the following queries. With this information handy, I will be able to provide you with precise troubleshooting steps.

- Name and model of you Dell projector
- What is the color of dots visible on the screen
- Has the projector bulb been replaced before?
- What input video source are you using? Is it a computer?
- Which operating system is installed in the computer?
- If yes, which video card is installed in the system?

If you are unsure about the type of video card installed, you may find these steps useful (Only for Windows operating system):

- Click ‘Start Icon’, and then click ‘Control Panel’
 - Click ‘Hardware and Sound’
 - Click ‘Device Manager’
 - ‘User Account Control’ dialog box may appear
 - Click Continue
 - ‘Device Manager’ Page opens up
 - Expand option ‘Display Adapter’
 - Capture the names of listed devices

Hope this helps. Please reply with the required information. I would be glad to help.

5 Posts

September 10th, 2012 20:00

I have a similar problem with a Dell S300W.  On the projected image there is a black band that is progressively worse toward the bottom and lightens up toward the top.  It appears to be somewhat speckled.  Additionally, there are white speckles slightly to the right of the black speckled band in the lower left adjacent to the band.  I have tried blowing out any dust that might be in the unit after removing the covers and using air in a can.  I can't tell whether it is due to dust, or electronics but I suspect the latter.  Any suggested remedies?

John

September 13th, 2012 12:00

Hi barjohn,

The speckled effect on the screen may be due to various possible reasons:
- Corrupt projector settings
- Dust accumulation on the projector bulb
- Configuration and settings of Input source (Computer, etc.)
- An issue with the bulb

Step 1: Follow these steps to restore settings to factory defaults. Refer to the image below:

You may find the steps useful:
- Go to 'OSD' (On screen display) option
- Go to 'Others'
- Check the projection results

If issue still persists, try the next step
Step 2: Check the performance of projector screen on start up. Does the Dell logo at start up look fine?
- If no, we need to check and reseat the bulb
- If the Dell logo appears fine, try a known-good computer or video source to the projector, if available
- If the problem gets fixed with a known good PC, the functionality of your input video source (PC, etc) needs to be checked (Refer to Step 4)

Step 3: Steps to reseat the projector bulb
- Before re seating the lamp, please follow the below mentioned safety instructions
- The lamp becomes very hot when in use. Do not attempt to replace the lamp until the projector has been allowed to cool down for at least 30 minutes.
- Do not touch the bulb or the lamp glass at any time. Projector lamps are very fragile and may shatter if touched. The shattered glass pieces are sharp and can cause injury.
- If the lamp shatters, remove all broken pieces from the projector and dispose or recycle according to state, local, or federal law.
- Turn off the projector and disconnect the power cord
- Let the projector cool for at least 30 minutes
- Loosen the two screws that secure the lamp cover, and remove the cover (Refer to image below)

- Loosen the two screws that secure the lamp (Refer to image above)
- Pull up the lamp by its metal handle
- Wipe away any dust or dirt from the lamp using a can of compressed air. Be gentle when working so you don't dislodge or damage any of the parts
- Re seat the lamp
- Tighten the two screws that secure the lamp
- Replace the lamp cover and tighten the two screws
- Reset the lamp usage time by selecting "Yes" for Lamp Reset in the OSD Lamp tab (Refer to image below)

- After you re-install the lamp, select Yes to reset the lamp timer
- If the issue still persists, it indicates a hardware problem with the projector
- Bulb replacement may work in that case

Step 4: If the Dell logo appears fine, check with a known good computer / input video source
In case you are unsure about the type of video card installed, you may find these steps useful (Only for Windows operating system):
- Click ‘Start Icon’, and then click ‘Control Panel’
- Click ‘Hardware and Sound’
- Click ‘Device Manager’
- ‘User Account Control’ dialog box may appear
- Click Continue
- ‘Device Manager’ Page opens up
- Expand option ‘Display Adapter’
- Capture the names of listed devices
- If needed, I will provide detailed instructions to re-install the device driver

Hope this helps. Do reply with the results. I would be glad to assist.

5 Posts

September 13th, 2012 21:00

I have tried all of these things and they have not resolved the issue.  I am starting to suspect the DLP chip.  If anyone knows the TI part # that would help as I could look at buying and replacing it.

September 14th, 2012 12:00

Hi john,

Since the issue still persists even after performing the troubleshooting steps, it looks like a hardware issue. I am adding you as a friend. Please accept the request and reply through a private message with the projector's 'Service Tag' and 'Account Holder's' name. I will check the warranty status of the projector. And will get back to you with the best support options.

5 Posts

September 16th, 2012 21:00

I have responded by what I think is your PM mechanism.  Not sure as it doesn't say that is what it is.  I see no way to friend on this site and I don't do Facebook.

September 17th, 2012 17:00

Hi John,

I understand the kind of inconvenience this might have caused; I apologize for the experience you've had. As you mentioned, the projector is out of warranty; and in such a case there is a charge attached for any service. You've already spoken to this department. Dell does not offer any part number for the DLP chip.
Apologies for the inconvenience.

1 Message

March 12th, 2014 00:00

Hi, I have the same issue with the spots . I haven't tried resetting the Lamp/bulb yet but I'm wondering should I discontinue use Until fixed? As the spots grow is this ruining my internal projector ?

10 Posts

March 17th, 2014 23:00

Obiblack, keep using it, it will not harm the other components but will eventually become more and more unwatchable if its not already. I have two units with the same issues. Unfortunately after market chip are expensive to buy singly if you can find them and then theres installing it. Dell should at least source the  chips and provide them cheaply to consumers that paid good money for these units but that wont happen when they can get a pretty penny for doing the whole service for pay thing. Sadly it all to familiar and why people never buy from companies that do this type of thing to their own detriment. 

10 Posts

March 17th, 2014 23:00

Dell knows exactly whats wrong with these projectors. Its a faulty dlp chip where the tiny mirrors fail to move properly due to improper manufacturing or lack of seal of the dlp chip housing allowing moisture to invade and corrode the mirror hinges. For anyone else who expierience similar black dots that appear on image and sometimes come and go its terminal unless you can find a source of the particular dlp chip your unit has. Unfortunately its not going to be resolved by the manufacture cheaply and the service is more expensive than your units probably worth. Some consolation if you paid good money only to have an expensive useless brick.  This problem is referred to as black death. 

10 Posts

March 31st, 2014 12:00

Jerry, im with you on this, i can also repair these myself but sourcing these chips makes it cost prohibitive. 

DELL, INSTEAD OF HAVING PEOPLE WHO HAVE THIS SPECIFIC PROBLEM DO YOUR NEEDLESS FUTILE RESET NONSENSE, HOW ABOUT PROVIDING CUSTOMERS THE ABILITY TO BUY THESE CHIPS (THAT ARE IN FACT STILL UNDER TEXAS INSTRUMENTS 5 YEAR WARRANTY)  AT A REDUCED COST (UNDER 40 BUCKS PREFERRABLY)  AND DO THE RIGHT THING HERE FOR CUSTOMERS THAT PAID YOU GOOD MONEY FOR YOUR OBVIOUSLY DEFECTIVE PRODUCT. YOUR REPAIR SERVICE ISNT A VIABLE OPTION SINCE THESE PROJECTORS VALUE HAS DIMINISHED (LIKELY DUE TO YOU NOT STANDING BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT) TO A POINT WHERE THE SERVICE PRICE IS LESS THAN MARKET PRICE. CMON DELL, TAKE CARE OF THE PEOPLE THAT MADE YOU SUCCESSFUL. IF YOU ARE UPPER IN MANAGEMENT, PLEASE RESPOND. 

1 Message

April 18th, 2014 12:00

Same problem. I have a 1409x that I paid over $800. The lamp has 1100 hours on it, and the black and white dots have gone from a couple to over 100 in a couple of weeks. the cost of the DMD chip is around $300, so it is not worth fixing. This is a known hardware defect with this chip and Dell and T.I are simply ignoring the problem. It would be nice is someone was willing to start up a clash action for this problem, but individually it is not worth pursuing. Just remember the lack of support from these companies, for a product that has a manufacturing defect, and make your future purchases accordingly. Had I received any response from Dell on this matter, I probably would have bought a new one from them. As it is, I am selling off my Dell products, and will move to a different supplier. My Dell tablet and laptops are being sold. I have decided to go with Lenovo, Any suggestions on a good projector manufacturer? Samsung? Benq? Acer?

1 Message

February 16th, 2015 07:00

I am a High School Teacher on my second 4210X.  every teacher in our building has/had a Dell 4210X.  and all of them have failed.  I have had the white/black dots problem on two separate projectors.  my original one the entire screen was covered, switched it out with another a teacher never used, and here we are a few months later same problem.  Two other teachers have also had this same problem.  our school spent a lot of money on your product and they all failed.  It is widely known that these chips fail, Dell should be responsible for replacing them.

No Events found!