Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2011 21:00

2300MP, Disassembly Plus

I recently repaired a 2300MP for my daughter. I thought I would share my experience in working on the unit with all that are having problems that may be attributed to dust.

The symptoms on the 2300MP were that if you turned it on with no signal cables attached, the lamp would come on and progressively get brighter and brighter. During this time the DELL logo would appear. Just when you thought it should be done getting brighter, the “Temp” (Over temperature) and “Lamp” LEDS would glow orange and the bulb shut off. Earlier, my daughter said they had replaced the lamp because they thought it may be bad. ($349)

Naturally, the warranty had expired, so I decided to give it a try at repairing it. I used to service and repair large mainframe computers and also did camera repairs.

I am inserting pictures I took as I proceeded to look into the problem. The first picture is the unit intact. I might add that the “white arrows” in the pictures refer to screws or cables that need to be removed as you proceed or to point out locations.

The 2nd picture shows the screws that need to be removed from the rear of the unit. The three lower arrows in the picture are where there are caps over the screws. These pop out very easily with a small screwdriver.

The 3rd picture shows the bottom, where seven screws need to be removed. The two screws in the lamp cover are captive and will not fall out.

In the 4th picture, once the lamp cover has been removed, there will be four screws underneath that will need to be removed. Two of the screws hold in the lamp housing. After removing them, remove the lamp housing. The screw in the bottom of the picture holds on the front cover.

In the 5th picture, you can see the plenum where the air exits to cool the lamp.

After you have removed all the previous screws, you need to separate the top cover from the front cover. To do this, you need to push down on the front cover just forward of where the top cover is snapped together with it. This takes a little care and perseverance.

The 6th picture shows the top cover separated from the front cover and tilted up from the backside. Be careful not to damage the flexible printed circuit cable that is attached to the top board. Disconnect cable at the board by pulling up on the ears of the connector and pulling out the cable.

This 7th picture shows the top after being removed.

In the 8th picture, looking at the front of the unit with the front cover loose, you will need to remove the six cable connectors from the card.

In the 9th picture, the leftmost cable in the above picture has been disconnected and the front cover has placed aside.

In this 10th picture, the front cover and connector have been removed and you can see closer up, the other cable on the card that need to be removed.

In the 11th picture, there are five screws that need to be removed in order to remove the card

The 12th picture shows two more cables that need to be removed from the rear of the card before you can remove the card

The 13th picture shows the card removed. It is removed by pulling up to disconnect two connectors that are located under the card.

The 14th picture shows the underside of the card that you just removed. You can see the two connectors that were separated from the cards beneath.

Picture 15 shows the two fans that are in the unit. This is usually where dust collects and causes problems to occur. The left one is a muffin fan and appears to supply cooling for the power supply board and others, while the squirrel cage fan supplies cooling directly to the lamp.

Picture 16 is a view of unit with all the previous items removed. You can see in this picture, the fans again and on the right side is the lens assembly with the black cover pointed out, over the rear of the assembly.

I used canned air to blow all the dust from the unit and especially from the fans. Blowing the dust from the squirrel cage fan solved my problem.

Other entries in this forum had alluded to cleaning the lens assembly when they were getting blobs and such in their projected displays. Removing the little black cover and cleaning out the inside with a Q-tip should solve those types of symptoms.

Picture 17 is a close-up of the squirrel cage fan. I found a large amount of dust in sectors of the wheel.

Picture 18 is a close-up of the cleanout cover over the rear of the lens assembly.

10 Posts

April 16th, 2011 21:00

Sorry, but for some reason (?) they won't let me upload the pictures.  Send me your email address and we will figure out how to get you the information.

Email id removed per privacy policy >

June 2nd, 2011 11:00

I would suggest that one carefully remove the front cover before removing the top cover. The plastic bases where the long metal posts attach to the top cover can break. Removing the front cover before the top cover allows one to lift the top cover off vertically instead of tipping it up. That reduces the risk of breaking one or more post bases.

1 Message

June 8th, 2011 00:00

Hi Palomino.  Your posts seen very helpful, unfortunately not fully supported by this forum.  I too would really appreciate a copy of your instructions or disassembly guide.  I need to replace the colour wheel of my unit...

Thanks heaps in advance.

My email:  Email id removed per privacy policy >

3 Posts

January 18th, 2012 11:00

Hey Palomino, I could really use the pictures.  I can handle 12MB emails. Will that work or send it in chunks?.  

3 Posts

January 18th, 2012 11:00

BTW....<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

1 Message

April 19th, 2014 18:00

Hello Palomino,

I read your solution to the Dell 2300mp projector problem you fixed for your daughter and it seem like what I need to fix my. I would love to have your full manual in fixing these problem.

This is my e-mail address, <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

Thanks

Osaze Arthur

November 7th, 2014 04:00

I see the forum doesn't allow emails, but perhaps you will get this to send me your pictures on how to repair a Dell 2300 MP.  Thanks for the time it took to put this together and share it! < ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

1 Message

February 15th, 2015 14:00

Please email me the dell 2300mp breakdown document. I need to clean dust inside the projector. Thanks

3 Posts

August 17th, 2015 10:00

Please email me the dell 2300mp breakdown document.

3 Posts

can you please email me the procedure plus photos.

Thanks

3 Posts

no this did not answer my question, I need Palimino  to email the info I asked for. Palimino can see my email address

1 Message

April 28th, 2017 07:00

I would greatly appreciate it if you would email me the pictures.  

My email is

Thanks.

No Events found!