Highlighted
Roaner
1 Copper

Re: Dell Projector 1800MP Lamp light/Power bottom Blinks orange and wont turn on at all!!

Well thanks again, yet another faulty capacitor, and would have never figured it out without this post!

0 Kudos
saund
1 Copper

Re: Dell Projector 1800MP Lamp light/Power bottom Blinks orange and wont turn on at all!!

Thanks for the suggestion to change the 3000uf capacitor!   I did so but the projector still does not work.

Before the change, the Lamp light blinked rapidly, with a very brief  ON time at about 1 second intervals.

The capacitor was bulging.   I replaced it with a 16V 3300uf.  I was careful about polarity.

After the change, the Lamp light blinks slowly, about 50% duty cycle with a period about 2 seconds.

So the capacitor changed something, but the projector is still not working.  The manual says,

"If the LAMP light is blinking orange and Power light is solid blue, the system has failed and the projector will automatically shut
down. Unplug the power cord after 3 minutes then turn the display on again. If this problem persists, contact Dell."

This is the symptom now.   I'm pretty sure all cables are back in place--at least there's nothing dangling and all screws are accounted for.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
GlennKa
1 Copper

Yea, you used a 16v instead of a 10v, I bet you cooked it good. It you had used a 10v whatever-uf you would have been better off...

0 Kudos
srogers573
1 Copper

Sorry but that is not the way it works.  The voltage rating on a capacitor is it's maximum operating voltage.  So by using a 16 volt instead of the 10 I have allowed enough operating margin that it should not fail again.  The original design spec of 10 volts was insuffient and therefore caused premature failure.

0 Kudos
srogers573
1 Copper

Though I have not had this symptom, the fact that things changed following your repair you should recheck all your work especially the soldering and connections.  What are the symptoms of leaving the bulb out with the cover in place?

0 Kudos
saund
1 Copper

Removing the bulb gives the same symptom: slowly flashing orange Lamp light.   Interesting that the projector knows if the lamp cover is in place or not.

My ohmmeter says infinite resistance across the lamp leads.   But that's probably okay, this is not an incandescent bulb.

The manual says a broken lamp gives a solid orange light.

0 Kudos
srogers573
1 Copper

The lamp is a mercury vapor lamp and will read infinity to an ohm meter.  I am unaware of any way to test the bulb short of putting it in another projector.  There is a switch that monitors the cover.  It is connected to the main supply board tworads the center by a smal two pin plug.  I found this plug to be somewhat difficult to reach.  I wish I could help more but this is the limit of my experience with this projector and there is very little out there to help in troubleshooting Dell projectors. www ssrogers dot net.

0 Kudos
saund
1 Copper

This is confirmation that the capacitor replacement has fixed the problem.

Last week I reported a slowly flashing orange light after replacing the 3300uf capacitor on the power supply board.  This was because I had failed to reconnect one small ribbon cable on the top board.

Thanks to those who chimed in and especially to the first person to spot the bulging capacitor and others who confirmed the fix.   Remarkable find!

0 Kudos
justjan123
1 Copper

So what type of skill set do you need to make this fix, and can we get the part at the local tech store?  Any special tools, or quick plug in option?

0 Kudos
srogers573
1 Copper

It is great to hear that you were able to get your projector up and running.  It looks as though my post on the failed capacitor has helped many save the cost of a major service bill or replacement.  I am glad that so many have found it useful.  www ssrogers net  If you insert the periods into the spaces this is my website.

0 Kudos