srogers573
1 Copper

Re: Dell Projector 1800MP Lamp light/Power bottom Blinks orange and wont turn on at all!!

Not a company, just me.

0 Kudos
srogers573
1 Copper

Re: Dell Projector 1800MP Lamp light/Power bottom Blinks orange and wont turn on at all!!

I posted the following earlier but it was removed I assume because I included my website as a contact.  I have the same model with a very similar problem. Mine started as you describe yours but after being unplugged for a day it would no longer turn on at all and the lamp led would breifly flash at a regular interval. I am a field engineer and work on MRI and X-ray equipment so I dove into the unit. I found a bad capacitor on the main power supply. It is a 3300mfd 10volt capacitor on the output end of the board. It was swollen but not ruptured. I replaced it with a 3300mfd 16volt capacitor and the unit is working fine. Hope this helps.

Add me to the list of people with the same Dell 1800MP problem.  In my response to where can I get service (I'm prepared to pay for it), the technical support seemed confused and kept repeating that I was out of warranty so that he could not do anything.He indicated there was no Dell Authorized Repair provider in Canada.   A search of the internet found no one that can repair Dell Projectors, just one place that will provide new bulbs.   Unless I teach myself electrical engineering, I would characterize a Dell LCD Projector as an item that is disposal at point of failure.   This is very disappointing.   JPS

0 Kudos
Erasmos
1 Copper

I do have this problem; I'm still looking for a solution (short of buying a new projector, which was the suggestion of one of the Dell Technicians); however,

I would caution anyone against buying a new lamp, as its very unlikely to be the problem. True, you can return the new lamp, but why go through the hassle.

Thus far, I've also failed to find a repair centre in Canada; in hindsight I should have made that part of my decision, as well as buying

an extended warranty. Even still, I would have expected the projector to outlive its first lamp.

I may have a doorstop on my hands.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
GlennKa
1 Copper

Same thing here, MP1800 projector working fine yesterday, today, semi flashing amber light. We had a spare lamp from Dell we purchased so I swapped it out and the same thing, no power and flashing orange. I use to be a laptop repair tech so I know my way around the insides of electronics so I open the unit and stripped it down to the power supply board and behold I have the same bad cap, 3300u 10v that is all budged out, you could spot it a mile away, it screams BAD. I will be replacing this $2.50 bs part afterwhile in hopes of a once again working unit. Everything else looks just fine, nothing blown, do not think it is so bad as to pull the logic probe out.

I was on the phone with Dell support for 45mins, got transfered 5 times. No one has a clue. The last girl I talked to said they do not even have those kinds of replacment parts. Why do you sell units you brand with your name but do not follow through with a parts supply? That says alot about Dell. Quick sell, get the money, go go go!

I do not buy Dell, never have and never will, maybe my company finally has had enough of the SSDD syndrome with Dell. InFocus baby! Expensive but I have never had an issue with parts! Everything breaks, that is a given, you need a follow thru plan, not a toss in the garbage plan.

DO NOT BUY A BULB for this issue! Have someone competent open the unit (take VGA hexscrews out to finish removing the top cover ;P) and check for this faulty capacitor!

0 Kudos
GlennKa
1 Copper

Well I tore the unit down and replaced that bad cap with an exact match 3300u 10v and got it all put back together and all is good. Unit powers back up and displays video like nothing ever happened. Hope the rest of you guys have people near you that can check and replace this part if needed. It would be a crime to toss a unit just because this one faulty component. Hope these postings help save you some money!

0 Kudos
Erasmos
1 Copper

Just wanted to update those are following. I just got my projector fixed at a local repair shop (Montreal: Alfa Electronique); it took 10 days and cost $250.00; I'm not knowledgeable about electronics but I did understand that the capacitor that others have mentioned was indeed damaged, as were several other components; suffice to say, I didn't have the ability to fix it myself. Hopefully it will continue to function, but the repair shop gave a 90 day warranty, in any case.

So, for less than the price of a new lamp, I have my 'trusty' projector back.

0 Kudos
extra230
1 Copper

I changed the capacitor yesterday, and presto, back from the dead emoticon.BigSmile.title

I believe this solved the problem for several of us, and we all owe srogers573 a big thank you!

It also goes to show how ignorant Dell is in their tech support, forcing people to toss a relatively new and expensive unit for such a minor fault.

0 Kudos
GlennKa
1 Copper

Yeah too bad DELL removes websites, me and srogers573 could fix all of your projectors... oh well

0 Kudos
IBTech
1 Copper

I wonder if Dell will bother to take responsability for this...

0 Kudos