Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 9th, 2006 23:00

Disabling the splash screen

My church purchased a Dell projector a few months ago to display words to songs and sermon notes. I'm not 100% on the model but can get it if it's relevant. We sometimes have to reboot the computer it's attached to due to software issues, etc. in the middle of the church service. The DELL logo flashes on the screen and it's pretty embarassing. I like dell, but it's weird seeing it pop up in the middle of church! Can someone tell me if there's a way to disable the splash screen or give me a technique to make a computer reboot more "discrete"?

32 Posts

January 10th, 2006 00:00

Can you disconnect the projector during the reboot?

Steve.

January 10th, 2006 12:00

The projector is physically out of reach, but I have full access to the PC and I guess I have access to the projector via the remote I suppose. Wouldn't disconnecting the VGA from the PC pop up the giant DELL logo upon disconnect?

I would like what is displayed during the reboot to be as low profile as possible during the service.

272 Posts

January 11th, 2006 01:00

what is the computer and is the splash screen from the computer or the projector? what operating system is the computer running? you can try this if its from the computer.

you can disable the splash screen by making a small change to the Boot.ini file.
Follow these steps:
Press Windows>>Break to open the System Properties dialog box.
On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Startup And Recovery section.
In the Startup And Recovery dialog box, select the Edit button in the System Startup section.
The Boot.ini file will open in Notepad; locate the line that ends with the /fastdetect switch.
Position your cursor right after the parameter, press the spacebar, and add the /SOS switch.
Save the Boot.ini file, and close Notepad.
Click Cancel to close both the Startup And Recovery dialog box and the System Properties dialog box.
Restart the system.
When the system restarts, the splash screen will no longer appear. You can observe some of the operations that Windows XP performs during the startup stage.
To revive the splash screen, simply repeat the above steps to edit the Boot.ini file and remove the /SOS switch.

239 Posts

January 11th, 2006 04:00

This request sounds familiar. In its previous incarnation, I believe the answer to your question is, "No." Short of physically blocking the projected image, there is no way to disable the splash screen.

January 11th, 2006 15:00

Let me rephrase my question since it was kind of ambiguous. Sorry about that.

If I unplug a CRT monitor, the screen goes black and the indicator on the monitor changes from green to amber. Of couse it does the same thing when I power down and it does this for a few seconds when I reboot.

If I do any of the above with my dell projector, I get a white splashscreen with the large DELL logo along with some kind of "searching for signal" message.

I am trying to find a way to make the dell projector go black "on demand" via the remote, perhaps, or if there is a setting to make the "searching for signal" screen less intrusive.

32 Posts

January 11th, 2006 17:00

Ahh, I see. The splash screen is from the projector not the PC! Hmmmm....

Steve.

4 Posts

February 15th, 2006 13:00

I don't know if you can disable the splash screen, but check on the remote for the projector and see if you have a "Freeze" or "Shutter" button on it.  The freeze button will just hold the last image projected.  I'm not sure if it will keep the image when it looses its signal during a reboot or not.  The shutter button will close the shutter in the projector so no light will pass through.  This might be a work around to the splash screen issue.

February 17th, 2006 05:00

Is it possible to change the projector Dell logo default image to a custom image in the bios?

239 Posts

February 20th, 2006 05:00

No. It's not possible to change the Dell logo displayed when the projector starts up.

272 Posts

February 20th, 2006 11:00

depending on the remoteness of the projector why not do like the theaters used to do. put a small "door" or blocker a foot from the projector in front of it to block the screen during startup or reboot. it can be as simple as a small piece of wood on a hinge controled with a string that can be dropped during reboot and lifted with a string during projector use. I say a foot but could be less depending on space and location as well as the heat involved. how complicated it is built would be dictated by location and the creativity of a helpfull parishoner that could help.
sorry but I like thinking ideas out loud :)

1 Message

May 5th, 2006 03:00

@junkyardpizza wrote:
My church purchased a Dell projector a few months ago to display words to songs and sermon notes. I'm not 100% on the model but can get it if it's relevant. We sometimes have to reboot the computer it's attached to due to software issues, etc. in the middle of the church service. The DELL logo flashes on the screen and it's pretty embarassing. I like dell, but it's weird seeing it pop up in the middle of church! Can someone tell me if there's a way to disable the splash screen or give me a technique to make a computer reboot more "discrete"?

We have the same problem.

You would think that Dells top projector would have some options about what to display and what not to display! It's rediculous.
Someone purchasing their top model probably doesn't need to know how to Unblank the screen.. and would LOVE to be able to switch inputs without everyone knowing about it.
Totally unprofessional.
Chris, is there any way.. to reprogram this, be it via RS232, I would do anything to get rid of some of the bright splash screens?

Other than that it is a beautiful projector - I can tell a lot of thought and design has gone into it and paid off, its a shame that the splash screen would completely put me off using it at a lot of events.

Cheers,
James
No Events found!