caroline-hunter.JPG.jpgName        Caroline Hunter

Title          Instructional Designer at EMC

Education B.A. in Philosophy/English, currently pursuing MBA

Area of Expertise Open source software, collaborative learning systems

Certifications

• Information and Storage Management v2 Associate
  • Cloud Infrastructure and Services Associate

ECN profile  carolineh

Can you briefly describe your background, for example, how did you first become interested in IT?

I have always had a detail-oriented personality, though never expected to work in the technology industry. I always liked computers, though - some of my favorite games growing up were Myst, Minesweeper, and Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing. When I graduated from Simmons College, my strongest skills were in writing, and I expected to become a magazine writer. Instead I ended up at TechTarget, which is a great source of technical news and analysis for business IT buyers. Being a philosophy major, I like paradox, so enjoyed working with TechTarget as the editor of a web site covering how open source technologies are used in the business world. I got to attend some fun conferences like RedHat and interview some inspiring people.

Tell us a little bit about your role.

I am an Instructional Designer for the Storage Area Networks team in Education Services. I have been reviewing courses covering how to plan, build, and support a variety of network types, and also VPLEX, PowerPath, and RecoverPoint courses. With my interest in systems, the SAN team is a good fit for my learning interests – how do businesses use technology to connect their operations across distance in ways that are fast, secure, and reliable? As an instructional designer, I am interested in the people who build these networks for businesses. Especially with EMC’s Third Platform strategy, there is a lot to think about, and I’m excited about the role that Education Services can play in supporting that strategy.

What most interests you about your work?

I like the challenge of understanding how systems work – and the roles that both logic and human nature play in those systems. A lot of times, I think the term “the system” gets a bad reputation – as something that might pose obstacles or stifle creativity. I am interested in designing and learning about systems that actually enable people to be more innovative than they could be without them. I also like how technology connects people across geography and culture.

Are you active in the Proven Professional Community?

Yes – I think it’s important to seek out people you can learn from, of which there are many in this community. I also enjoy reading the Knowledge Sharing articles in the community.

How has the Proven Professional Program benefitted you professionally?

It has changed my mind about what is possible for me. I remember when I first started studying for the Cloud Infrastructure and Services exam, which was my first technical certification. I knew I liked learning about technical topics, but felt discouraged initially when I took some Cloud intro courses and didn’t see my interest reflected in my course assessment score. However, I was still curious, and kept going. I had over 40 pages of notes in a Word document by the time I finished studying from the CIS VILT. I did the hard work, and it paid off – I passed. With hard work and genuine interest, I think it’s possible to shape your own professional path, regardless of what your expectations were in the past.

What advice would you give to someone entering the Proven Professional Program?

First, I would say take some time to figure out what you’re really interested in – this will motivate you to study. Second, don’t assume that you’ll learn the same way that other people learn; do some experiments and see what works. Maybe multi-tasking helps you, or maybe it’s ineffective with the way your brain works. Maybe you get a lot from talking about concepts out loud, maybe not. Maybe comparing a technical mechanism to another area of life (i.e., I/O flow to street traffic) is helpful for you – or maybe you just want the information in front of you.

What big project are you working on now? Or what major project have you recently completed?

I recently helped out with an exploration of the benefits that massive open online courses (MOOCs) can provide in building a competitive workforce. Ernie Kahane, EMC Ed Services’ Learning Strategist, has written some great blog posts about how MOOCs align with EMC’s emerging Third Platform strategy. Also, as part of a research assistantship I’m doing at Simmons School of Management, I’m looking at how engaging stakeholder networks in corporate strategic planning can enable sustainable business growth.

Bridging the two areas (emerging learning platforms and stakeholder engagement), I am excited that Inside EMC [EMC’s intranet] is growing as a platform for collaborative innovation at EMC. The kinds of interactive projects made possible by such platforms allow employees to directly share and refine best practices for solving customer problems. At the same time, it allows Education Services to engage continuously with learners to form a “big picture” view of EMC’s Third Platform Strategy.

As Instructional Designer for EMC Education Services’ SAN team, I like networks, and see Instructional Design as a way to make intelligent use of those networks. In my understanding, that’s what the Third Platform is about: enabling people to create value in the midst of underlying complexity. From my learning about the open source movement and about the Internet of Things, there are few barriers left to open collaboration and communication. The challenge is in designing both personal and corporate value into the way we work and learn together. I’m excited for that challenge!

What projects/technology are you planning on for the future?

I recently took Business Statistics as part of my MBA program at the Simmons School of Management. I enjoyed it, and would like to continue learning about how to use data to support business decision-making. Big Data can be hard to grasp as a concept sometimes, but I think it’s essential to start figuring out ways to include multiple dimensions of information when charting a path into the future. The more rich the information going into our theories about the world, the better chance we have of being right!

Name a major achievement in your career or any awards that you have won.

I was honored to be invited as a speaker at the Boston Linux Users Group in 2010, to talk about Net Neutrality. It was a fun discussion, and is still an important topic to consider.

Is there anything else you’d like to share about yourself?

I am on the EMC LGBT Advocates Board, where I help with community education and have met individuals working across EMC. I am proud to work for a company that recognizes the innovation that comes from a diverse workforce.

Read other EMC Proven Professional Spotlight articles in the Proven Professional Spotlight Archive

5.7K Posts

July 1st, 2014 15:00

Congratulations, Caroline!

15 Posts

July 10th, 2014 07:00

Thanks Rob!

No Events found!