Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 13th, 2010 07:00

What score is needed to pass the ISM Examination?

Hi there,

Can anyone please say what score is needed on the exam to get the certification? Higher than 50%? 75%? Other?

Also, I did the 30-question practice quiz at the back of the ISM Participation Guide (volume 2 of 2) and was surprised to see the level of detail of some of the questions. That is, some questions were literally based on single sentences buried deep in the text of some pages (and not on the slides at the top of each page). I'm not expecting the exam to be easy, but is this what I have to look forward to when I do the exam tomorrow - questions based on terms/concepts that I'd have to find with a magnifying glass?

And finally, and I hope this OK to ask - if not, then don't answer! - are the exam questions roughly divided among the 4 modules (Storage Systems, Storage Networking Technologies and Virtualization, Business Continuity, and Storage Security and Management), or is there more emphasis given to some modules over the others?

OK, that's it!

I look forward to getting a response or two, and want to thank all those people that have contributed tips about the exam until now!

Looking forward to becoming an EMC Proven Professional!

Gil

p.s. How soon after the test until I get the results?

546 Posts

January 13th, 2010 07:00

Hi, moved this to a new thread because you have lots of interesting questions here..

452 Posts

January 13th, 2010 09:00

Hi Gil,

I've enlisted some other help to answer your questions about exam scoring and the distributuion of exam questions, but let me try to answer your other questions.

The practice test isn't intended to  predict success on the EMC Proven Professional exam.  It's just one way that you can determine your readiness to take the exam.  I hope your noticed that you received feedback after the practice test, helping you to identify what areas you may want to concentrate on before scheduling the exam.

The scope of the ISM book and subject matter is very broad, so some questions are detail oriented.   One exam strategy is to answer all the questions you can first, and mark the 'unknowns' so you can return to them later.  That will give you a chance to really think through each question, and each possible answer.

You will receive your exam feedback immediately after you complete the test (at the testing center).

Stay tuned for more info, and we can't wait for you to achieve your EMC Proven Professional certification!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 13th, 2010 10:00

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the answers and tips so far...and also for the good luck wishes!

(I agree with you about skipping questions you aren't sure about and coming back to them later.)

I hope my other questions will be answered soon too.

Gil

p.s. I'm about to do the online ISM practice test on testcraft.com (for EMC employees only?) for good measure, so I hope this will give me a better indication of what the real exam will be like tomorrow.

21 Posts

January 13th, 2010 11:00

Gil,

Like most IT certification programs, we do not post the passing scores on our exams.  These scores may change based upon updates to an exam as well as because of analyses of exam results.

The content distribution of an exam is best discerned from the on-line exam descriptions.  Sections of the exam with the most details are likely to be reflected in more questions on the exam.

The practice tests that are available on Testcraft -- and these are available to EMC employees, partners, and customers -- provide the best indication of the kinds of questions found on the proctored exam, the distribution of content on the proctored exam, and the exam passing score.    The questions for the practice test were selected from the pool of questions developed for the entire exam, and the practice test questions were selected because they are representative of the actual exam questions.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Gene

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2010 01:00

Hi there, me again with an update.

I just wanted to let you know the good news that I passed the ISM test and received the EMCPA Associate certificate!

I'd like to thank those that responded to my concerns - Gina, Michelle, and Gene - in my time of need.

Honestly, I thought the test was tough, as there were many questions about topics that were barely covered in the course material, IMHO.

With over 500 pages of material to cover, I thought that the test would focus less on minutiae and more on higher level concepts and concerns.

Fortunately, I got through it and can look forward to planning my next "course of action" as an EMC Proven Professional.

Gil

p.s. In regards to the Discussion title/question, and without giving away any details, let's just say that if you know your Meatloaf hits, you can figure it out.

546 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 04:00

HUZZAH!!!!! Congrats!!!

So, what's next?

452 Posts

February 2nd, 2010 04:00

Congratulations, Gil!

Your Associate level credential offers several benefits; you can now access the EMC Proven Professional ONLY community (from the community homepage) and you can also participate in our annual Knowledge Sharing competition.  I'll be watching for your 2011 submission!

32 Posts

February 15th, 2010 05:00

You can attempt the test by following the linl in the left corner of the PDF. If then also facing problems reply me

1 Attachment

546 Posts

February 16th, 2010 06:00

What link are you talking about?

452 Posts

February 16th, 2010 07:00

Program note:  Chikuru provided a pdf of the exam description which  includes a link to the practice test.  You can also access this page to see a list of EMC Proven Professional exams descriptions and practice tests.

Let us know if you can access the practice test!

No Events found!