Highlighted
Broxen
1 Copper

12 GB or 6 gb Backplane

Just having some issues trying to figure out what kind of drives we can purchase for the Dell 720XD server we have.

Currently there are a ton of 4tb SAS drives in there, speed not really being listed.

We would like to purchase some 12 gb SAS 8tb drives for the server, used for backup storage.

How fast is our backplane? I'm assuming 12 because of this statement in idrac:

Enclosure ID: BP12G+EXP 0:1                           PERC h710 Mini

looks like a 12g backplane to me. I'm just trying to verify with some people smarter than me. Thanks.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: 12 GB or 6 gb Backplane

Hello

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos

Re: 12 GB or 6 gb Backplane

Thank you for the service tag.

I don't have specifications listed for the backplane on whether or not it is capable of 12Gb/s. The enclosure ID you referenced does not stand for 12Gb/s, it stands for 12th generation. There are no controllers validated for the R720XD capable of 12Gb/s, so I have no reason to assume the backplane would be capable of that speed.

The H710 controller supports a maximum of 6Gb/s. If you install 12Gb/s drives into the server then make sure they are capable of negotiating down to a speed that the system is capable. There are further limitations on SATA drive speeds. The 12x3.5" with the 2.5" rear drive slots is limited to 3Gb/s with SATA drives. There is a document in the manuals sections of the R720XD that outlines SATA speed limitations based on configuration.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-r720xd/

You can find more information on the controller on our PERC support page:

https://www.dell.com/perc/

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos