Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2022 05:00

C6320 NIC not showing in OS

HI there, 
We have been struggling for a while. But we are unable to see the integrated NIC's of the C6320 servers in the OS.
What we have checked:
- Interface shows up in iDRAC under Network devices
- Cisco/Intel/Dell SFP+'s (all work when we assign the iDRAC to them)
- The switch shows the link as UP and 10GBIT
- iDRAC and Lifecycle controller show link up
- 'racadm get NIC' yields no results
- System inventory shows 'Embedded NIC 1 Port 1 Partition 1' with NicMode=Disabled. 

What we have tried:
- Update BIOS, Lifecycle, OS tools, etc to the latest version and even older versions just to try
- Reset all ('retire/repurpose')
- Install Ubuntu 18, 20, 22. Cent/Rocky, ESXi. 
- Nor LSHW/LSPCI have any references to any NIC's
- We have tried toggling it in the BIOS and rebooting with powercycle (pull plug) 

Would anyone have any clue what we can try to use this NIC?

August 14th, 2022 21:00

Thank you for your and your colleagues replies. We have tried supported versions RHEL and SLES without success. The embedded card is a X520, to verify that this was not a driver problem we have purchased off the shelve Intel X520's and plugged them into the PCI-e slot. They worked on the first attempt, concluding that either the integrated X520 is unable to work with regular X520 drivers (ixgbe), or that the integrated X520 is indeed not properly presented to the OS. Both would by unfortunate, regardless we will just stick in more X520's for now. 

• 

8.4K Posts

August 1st, 2022 13:00

SceniusCloud,

Would you confirm if the nic and ports are enabled under Networking in the BIOS?

Also, would you be able to provide some screens shots of the items you are missing? I ask as it appears a lot of what you are requesting is for within the OS, which Ubuntu isn't fully supported. So what you may want to try is RHEL 7 or possibly drivers from so to try for Ubuntu.

Let me know.

August 2nd, 2022 11:00

Hi, firstly thank you for your reply! Sadly I was unable to upload photo's here. I have created a album illustrating my issue. I can see the interface in the management tools. But I can't in any OS. We've been struggling with this, would really appreciate any assistance. https://imgur.com/a/AbyvZFP Kind regards, 

• 

8.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2022 13:00

SceniusCloud,

Would you confirm which OS's you have tried specifically?

To me It sounds like the NIC is functioning, but isn't being seen by the OS, which if that is the case then it is going to be specific to the driver itself. 

So that is where I would start.

August 2nd, 2022 14:00

Hi Chris, thanks again for your reply. That was my suspicious as well.

I have tried:
- CentOS 7 and 8 (same as RHEL but upstream)
- Ubuntu 22, 20 and 18
- Debian 7, 9
- ESXi (latest)
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2022

It has not appeared in the devices list, not even as an unrecognized device. It is almost as if the bridge whichever uses the NIC for sharing to the OS is not passing it along.
It is not working for all four of the C6320's nodes. Have only extensively tested on two nodes, but behavior seems the same on all.

We are really out of ideas here

Regards,

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

August 3rd, 2022 08:00

Hello @SceniusCloud,

The integrated NIC is the X520 10GbE, correct? What is the current firmware version? If you have direct access to the server, can you check on this card, on the label it it is Dell Part Number: C63DV ? And the transceivers? Can you share the details of which one are you using? It is worth to check the compatibility matrix between transceivers and the card.

Regards.

August 5th, 2022 02:00

Once again thanks for your reply. We are using mainly DAC's, but both iDRAC and the switch indicate a good link at 10G. I have retrieved a node from the server and it is on my desk now. I noticed we only have one CPU installed, might this be an issue? Usually it is not but might there be a chance that the internal NIC is wired to the PCI-e of CPU2 
photo_2022-08-05_10-56-57.jpg
Thanks for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Nick

• 

8.4K Posts

August 5th, 2022 06:00

That wouldn't be the case. Just to confirm are you seeing anything in the logs pertaining to the NICs, also is everything in the chain set to the same speeds and have link lights?

August 6th, 2022 07:00

Thanks for your reply.

Sadly nothing in the logs. I have included a photo of the lights 'flashing', took a few attempts, 2 lights are static on the others are blinking When I assign the dedicated NIC to iDRAC it works (at 10G).

SceniusCloud_0-1659788993116.png

SceniusCloud_1-1659789181894.png

• 

3.6K Posts

August 7th, 2022 22:00

Hi, looks like this is a cloud server. Could you try other slots and see if it's still the same?

1 Attachment

August 8th, 2022 05:00

Hi there,

I have tried all steps on multiple nodes. Sadly all nodes yield the same result. Do you mean that we should swap 'blades' into different slots?

• 

8.4K Posts

August 8th, 2022 06:00

SceniusCloud,

I think he was referring to the slot the NIC is installed, but that wouldn't help, in my opinion. From what you have stated and shared the hardware is functioning as intended, as there is no error or indication from the hardware of an issue. So the issue to me is OS related, and being that the OS isn't a supported version, we are also limited there as well. What I would suggest is trying different drivers and if needed you may need to call in for OS support. 

August 8th, 2022 09:00

Hi.

We have tried multiple slots. They all have the same issue sadly.

No Events found!