XSOLUTIONS
1 Copper

DELL R6415 Couldn't see Samsung NVme 2.5 SDD drives in S140

Hi,

Just got Dell R6415 sever, has 2 two Intel S3500 480GB SATA SSDs, and try to install 2 Samsung 983 DTC 1.92TB nvme sdd for Raid 1. Enabled in BIOS for SATA RAID and NVME RAID. In System Setup(F2)->Device setting,  S140 configuration utilities and all two PCIe ssd are shown. When I click into S140, it couldn't find any physical disks. Please advise how could fix this issue. 

2: Also there is no Ctrl R to let me get into HBA330 controller setting. In System Setup(F2)->Device setting, I could see H330 is there, and could recognize these two SATA SSDs. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: DELL R6415 Couldn't see Samsung NVme 2.5 SDD drives in S

Hello

It should be CTL C to enter the HBA330 BIOS. The HBA330/MMZ/MX manual should be on this page.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

You should be able to locate the S140 manual on that page. I suggest reviewing the manual for NVME RAID requirements, like UEFI boot mode.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
XSOLUTIONS
1 Copper

Hi Daniel,

No Ctrl C showing as well. Also, I watched a dell official video on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWa9x1biBVs, says "In this video, we will show how to enable RAID on NVMe drives by using Software RAID utility with add-in card on Dell EMC’s 14th generation of PowerEdge systems or later." Could you please confirm what is add-in card, and its parts number, so i could see if I have it on my server. Thank you!

In this video, we will show how to enable RAID on NVMe drives by using Software RAID utility with add-in card on Dell EMC's 14th generation of PowerEdge syst...
0 Kudos
savvy2
3 Silver

can you get to BIOS main at all, using the HOT keys blind

if yes, in main turn on OPRom boot messaging, not all devices with BIOS  extensions will show up on the screen.

are you using a real screen. VGA? do not use HDMI adapters to screens OK? DIRECT first the DRAC remove later.

walk first then run.  (methodology)

I guess you just bought this used or just got a job where the other guy is not there or gone or never documented his/her setup rules?

as far as your  M.2,   not showing up in your OS, did you have this server connected to the internet if using say windows server 2008 up?

so it can PnP  this? for drivers>?

what OS is this.? did you say?

but that is moot point, mine, that you need to get the raid card seeing the physical M.2 first.

the create an array or if fancy raid cards some do 3 ways, raid, hba , and passthough modes

but first get Control R up

in your manual (raid card)

it says

During host system bootup, press <Ctrl><R> when the BIOS screen
is displayed.

even with the prompt turned off i think this key stroke works, I have never turned it off , so  IDK for sure.

but gee turn on prompts first. in main bios. on mine R7xx F2 is main bios entry point. start here.

I am not Dell, I am retired from this industry since 2009,
0 Kudos

@XSOLUTIONS wrote:

No Ctrl C showing as well. Also, I watched a dell official video on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWa9x1biBVs, says "In this video, we will show how to enable RAID on NVMe drives by using Software RAID utility with add-in card on Dell EMC’s 14th generation of PowerEdge systems or later." Could you please confirm what is add-in card, and its parts number, so i could see if I have it on my server. Thank you!

I don't think CTL C will show in your configuration. You enter the controller BIOS through system setup device settings.

The "add-in card" is the form factor that it treats the drive as, it is not an add-in card that you need to install. It treats the NVMe/PCIe device as an add-in card.

I think your only issue may be that the NVMe drives defaulted to non-RAID mode. If that is the case you will need to delete the non-RAID mode to put them into a RAID 1. The S-series controllers treat non-RAID mode like a virtual disk mode.

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos