Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BP

1 Message

March 5th, 2019 12:00

Exchange Server 2019

Having had a timely sales call from DELL last week, we purchased a desktop; and needing to replace our aged HP ProLiant used for Exchange Server 2016, we were sold a PowerEdge R340. (We already have an R330 running as our Domain Controller.)

With DELL's Support, we finally installed Server 2019.

However, we now find that Exchange Server 2019 requires a recommended 128 GB of RAM, but the R340's maximum memory capacity is only 64 GB.

Given that this was all done by telephone, do we have any legal right to request a return in exchange for a server which can accept at least 128 GB or RAM and run Exchange 2019?

I have to say that we are quite staggered that while 8 GB was the recommended minimum for Exchange 2016, a 15 fold increase for 2019 is unreal, especially considering a dedicated server is recommended.

With such a jump, surely DELL's Server sales people should have been made aware to warn buys of this issue?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 5th, 2019 14:00

"Legal" right? No.

However, you do have a right as a customer to ask the question. Typically you can return the system within x amount of time from the date of purchase. I would contact Customer Service to ask about your options. Escalate to management if needed, but obviously I can't guarantee they can/will.

"I have to say that we are quite staggered that while 8 GB was the recommended minimum for Exchange 2016, a 15 fold increase for 2019 is unreal, especially considering a dedicated server is recommended. With such a jump, surely DELL's Server sales people should have been made aware to warn buys of this issue?"

Yes, the jump is shocking, but keep in mind that MS was originally planning to do away with [a publicly-available] Exchange server at version 2016. There may be a very specific market that they targeted with its development and release (think: hosted Exchange service providers) and not targeted at or catering to businesses who probably don't need to or shouldn't be running it in-house in the first place. It's only been available for a few months, it is entirely possible that Dell sales personnel haven't received any formal training or documentation from Dell/Microsoft about that software on their equipment, let alone if you even mentioned SPECIFICALLY that you were looking to implement Exchange 2019. 

I also should mention that it is not 100% (or even 50%??) Dell's responsibility to know what resources YOU will need for deployments YOU will be making ... that is ultimately your responsibility to know the specs and needs of your software and organization.

2.9K Posts

March 6th, 2019 08:00

Hello,

Depending on where you are located, a return and reorder may be an option.

I looked into the threshold that 128GB of memory would become an option, and the R440 is capable of doing so. In a dual processor configuration using quad rank LRDIMMs, you can get up to 1024GB of memory. To get the needed 128GB, you can use a single processor configuration with dual rank RDIMMs. 

I would recommend talking to the sales rep and Customer Care about returning this one, and reordering a R440, since that would be able to support the amount of memory you need for Exchange 2019. The phone number I am showing for Customer Care is 800-456-3355. 

No Events found!