Start a Conversation

Unsolved

GA

61 Posts

June 16th, 2022 20:00

Need to change motherboard from my R420, will any original R420's motherboard work?

Thats it, my IDRAC bricked during a firmware update and seems now that the only way to get the system to work properly is to change the whole motherboard. Im in doubt if the remaining components of my R420 are going to work fine with a new R420's motherboard, or if there are different versions of the R420 and the components of one version may not work fine together with components from another. CPUs, memory, raid controller, coolers, PSUs....

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

June 17th, 2022 01:00

Can you share the part # of motherboard you have currently and one you are planning to get replaced. Generally there will not be any issue if you use latest motherboards.

• 

3.1K Posts

June 17th, 2022 02:00

Hi @Greg asd,

There isn't any tech notes that informs if there is any configuration/components that restricted to new update mainboards, it should relatively work. From what I can think of and experience in, is that there are times where the mainboard's firmware is very outdated and cause certain hardware support limited. From your stand point, I understood your concern, hence I might start building the system from minimum POST configuration then installing other components in, one by one for any updates.

Minimum to POST components:

• System Board
  • CPU1 with heat sink (minimum for troubleshooting)
  • Single DIMM configuration with DIMM in socket A1
  • Control Panel with cable (to power system on)
  • Expansion Riser
  • PSU (and for redundant PSU also the PDB/PIB)

61 Posts

June 17th, 2022 12:00

Do you recommend such procedure for being able to know which component is the incompatible one or because it can avoid any bug from presenting itself? OR is it due something else?

61 Posts

June 17th, 2022 13:00

Im in talks with different sellers so the part number of the upcoming motherboard may change. I can ask them before making the purchase. Are there anything I can look at the numbers myself to be sure it will be alright?

Here we have 2 codes, the one ending with A09 is my mobo, the other is from a seller.
this is the label from my motherboardthis is the label from my motherboardthis is the label from a motherboard from a vendorthis is the label from a motherboard from a vendor

• 

3.3K Posts

June 17th, 2022 13:00

Hello Greg asd,

Your mother board is bold below. You can use any of these:

Part Number

Part Description

Functional Description

72XWF

ASSY,PWA,PLN,SV,TRPM,PER420

R420 TRPM Bare MB V1, Select Bare for APJ & Brazil. Select SVC Kit HMTV9 for AMER & EMEA (Used in all countries except China and Russia)

CN7CM

ASSY,PWA,PLN,SV,TRPM,PER420,V2

R420 TRPM Bare MB V2 (Replace 72XWF Select Bare for APJ & Brazil. Select SVC Kit X1M4V for AMER & EMEA, RTS Dec. 11 2012 (Used in all countries except China and Russia)

JD6X3

ASSY,PWA,PLN,SV,TRPM,PER420,V3

R420 TRPM Bare MB V3 (Support IvyBridge CPU, Replace CN7CM Select Bare for APJ & Brazil. Select SVC Kit 478HT for AMER & EMEA, Dec Block 2013 (Used in all countries except China and Russia)

K29HN

ASSY,PWA,PLN,SV,TRPM,PER420,V4

R420 TRPM Bare MB V4 (Require iDrac Version 1.40.40 or higher, Replace JD6X3 Select Bare for APJ & Brazil. Select SVC Kit W7XP8 for AMER & EMEA, July Block 2014 (Used in all countries except China and Russia)

61 Posts

June 17th, 2022 17:00

Do you mean the motherboards with numbers 72XWF, JD6X3, K29HN are going to work fine with the remaining hardware of my R420?? What may happen if I go and buy the model from this vendor, whose serial number is 01PP0V??

• 

3.1K Posts

June 19th, 2022 18:00

Hi @Greg asd,

DPN# 1PP0V mainboard is V1 with non-TPM. If you don't intend to use TPM, it will not be an issue for you. Your current mainboard DPN# CN7CM is V2. It's an updated architecture mainboard which can contain certain hardware fixes which V1 doesn't have. Unfortunately, the changes made between V1 and V2 is not visible to us, hence I can't provide any information. My opinion is to try get a mainboard closest to your version which Charles has provided. 

61 Posts

June 27th, 2022 19:00

Thanks for the reply but I didn't understand it very well. What are the closest versions of boards in the sheet Charles posted? I have access to boards with the 72XWF, JD6X3, K29HN part numbers but I didn't understand if those are compatible with the remainder of my hardware or not. By what I understood from your post, they are different versions of mine and I may have some conflicts, correct? The only fail-proof choice is a board with the exact same part number than mine (CN7CM) ?

• 

3.1K Posts

June 27th, 2022 22:00

Hi @Greg asd,

Yeah, it can probably put into word as fail-proof for CN7CM but you mentioned that you're unable to source this mainboard out. Hence, probably you may go with JD6X3 or K29HN. 

No Events found!