Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2009 21:00

PE 2550, does not recognize memory upgrade

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade the memory for my PE 2550. Originally it has 4x256 Mb modules, that's 1 Gb. I'd like to upgrade to 2 Gb inserting 2x1 Gb modules with the same specifications and got 1-3-2 beep code at POST. I tried with 4 dimms and got just the same. The modules has been tested in another system (not PE 2550) and they are OK.

I made update and downgrade of BIOS and got the same. ¿Does anybody knows what am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

946 Posts

February 4th, 2009 05:00

Hello juantxu.hernandez,

If I remember correctly the 2550 does not support 2gb dimms.  This is the reason you are getting the 1-3-2 beep during post.

9.3K Posts

February 4th, 2009 08:00

Hello juantxu.hernandez,

If I remember correctly the 2550 does not support 2gb dimms.  This is the reason you are getting the 1-3-2 beep during post.

juantxu.hernande didn't say he was using 2GB dimms. He's trying to use 2 x 1GB.

However, servers tend to have very specific requirements from the memory. Things like latency timing, ECC, registered, buffered and things like that.

Do you have a link to what you bought? Crucial has guaranteed compatible memory here, Kingston has compatible memory here, and Dell has guaranteed compatible memory here.

February 4th, 2009 13:00

Well, at first sight the memory I've bought is 100% compatible. Here you can get the data sheet for this memory. It's not just generic RAM from Micron since it's Dell branded. The P/N is mt36lsdf12872g-133d1.

I have a picture, but can't upload it. If you wish I could email it to you.

Thanks and regards.

No Events found!