Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

September 21st, 2022 03:00

PERC h730 RAID or HBA mode

H730 can work in two modes HBA and RAID.  HBA/non-RAID mode - where each disk is controlled by the operating system (pass through) and in RAID mode where I can choose the RAID type (1,5,6,10,50,60) or convert each disk to non-RAID. The second option is more useful for me couse I want to have 2 disks in RAID 1 and 14 disks as non-RAID.

The question is:

HBA/non-RAID disk mode and RAID/non-RAID disk mode (selected disks) have the same passing communication to disk, direct disk access? Do both H730 operating modes for non-RAID drives transmit the same information between hardware and operating system?

I have a ZFS file system on these 14 drives and it should be able to access the drive directly (pass through).

Whats the the diffrence between mode HBA/non-RAID disk and RAID/non-RAID disk?

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 03:00

Hello @adamcios

Yes, both standards have the same access to the OS. The difference is how the storage is shown to OS RIAD or not RAID or HBA. Both H730 operating modes for non-RAID drives transmit the same information between hardware and operating system.

The diffrence between mode HBA/non-RAID disk and RAID/non-RAID disk is related to how the storage will be shown to OS and obviously, how this will create or not redundancy for disk failure. Then you will need to be careful because not all modes will be visible to OS without additional configuration.

Regards.

No Events found!