Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2014 06:00

PowerEdge 1950 rack server alternative cooling

Hi all

Apologies for putting this in the General forum - I can't post in the rack forum for some reason.

I have two PowerEdge 1950s that I purchased on eBay that are plenty quick for what I seek, and what I plan to do is to build a "server room in-a-box" along with a UPS and three gigabit switches, using one twin processor server as an application server and the other single CPU unit as a firewall.  It's for a local LAN party group, the application server will be serving Steam game backups and game servers.

Problem is, these are really noisy and while I can build an enclosure with wood to block the sound, these servers are going to have a hard time breathing.  I see three methods of attack here:

Plan A - I connect a portable air conditioner to an inlet and run cool air through it.  This would provide sufficient cooling, but would negate the noise blocking of the wooden enclosure, and would throw a lot of hot air into the room which is not going to be fun in summer.  Furthermore, this adds another 1.2kW for even the most basic portable air con unit, and we're stressing the power availability as it is - we've already had an incident where our activities have tripped a circuit, and interrupted somebody's work over the weekend.

Plan B - run a long length of hose into an inlet from the hallway which is mostly stone tile and concrete and is cold even in summer.  The downside here is that the hose would be very costly for the length we need considering it would need to be insulated, and the hose itself could present a tripping hazard.

Plan C - water cooling.  This is preferred since it effectively removes the noise from the equation by removing most of the fans - I would most likely keep a set in place for the power supplies.  It does have its own set of difficulties not unique to any other water cooling setup, but the one that is unique to this situation is the fact that the pipes would have to run out the back and into a separate unit for the reservoir and radiator.  On the flipside, it means I can consolidate cooling for both servers into a single unit, simplifying maintenance.

Has anybody tried water cooling a PowerEdge server?  The heatsink mounts seem to be pretty close to a Socket 775 layout in terms of spacing, I would have to get a 775 fan mount and check to make sure - if so, I could use a Swiftech Apogee LP water block and a 775 plate.  If not, I'll be attacking the plate with a drill and hacksaw...

Any thoughts?

1 Message

February 25th, 2021 14:00

Was you able to water cool the power edge?

No Events found!