Boleg
1 Nickel

PowerEdge R900 will not recognize HDD, SSD, or internal USB

Jump to solution

I have been trying to install windows server 2016 on this R900 and i get as far as where you select what drive you want to install the OS on to. Problem is it will not show any of the drives that are in the machine. Not the HDD in the front cage, not the SSD in the front cage nore the USB drive in the internal socket, I really want to install the OS on the internal USB.

It keeps prompting me to install the drivers so it will be able to see them but after spending several hours going through many Dell and Intel drivers, RAID, SAS, non-SAS drivers i am still no where closer.

Does anyone know the proper driver I need for this? and if so where can i find it? 

Thank You

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: PowerEdge R900 will not recognize HDD, SSD, or internal

Jump to solution

Hello,

Unfortunately, drivers weren't made for that server and Server 2016. I checked in both our support pages and the Windows Server Catalog, but didn't find anything that may help. If you haven't tried the Server 2012R2 driver for your storage controller already, you might consider that. However, if you did try those drivers, the only other thing i could recommend is to make sure that your firmware is up to date. 

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos
Boleg
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have gone through the 2012r2 drivers as well but i think i have the wrong ones. May you direct me to the most recent 2012r2 drivers?  and thank you!!!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You didn't list what RAID controller you have, but I have these drivers showing:

PERC 6i: https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01002138M/1/SAS-RAID_Firmware_F96NR_WN32_6.3.3-0002_X00.EXE

SAS 6/iR: https://downloads.dell.com/SAS-RAID/BR182607.exe

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos
Boleg
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

here is the other issue, when i get to the screen that asks me to load drivers it does not show .exe files at all. do I need to install these some other way?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

.exe files are not what Windows is looking for. These .exe packages need to be extracted so that you have a few files, including .inf and .sys filetypes. You can do this by running the .exe on another machine, or by changing the filetype to .zip, navigating to the payload folder within, and copying the contents to your USB drive.

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos