Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

17 Posts

July 12th, 2019 08:00

R420 Fails to load Initializing iDRAC configuration and fans run full speed

After a planned power outage (server was shutdown cleanly), and powering the server back up, it now gets stuck in Stuck on "Initializing iDRAC". After a minute or so the server displays "Alert! iDRAC 6 not responding. Rebooting" and reboots with all the fans spinning at maximum. It does the "Initializing iDRAC" thing again, but then gets to a point showing Hit F1 to continue or F2 for configuration. If hitting F1 it will boot to the OS, but the fans continue to scream at full speed. I tried to update the firmware but just get errors when from the command line. Tried using the ISO on DVD, but it says it can't load the repository. It definitely has a working network connection.

I tried the solution outline here, but it did not help.

I've re-seated everything, but no luck. Even removing the iDRAC completely still results in the same errors/issues.

Don't know what else to try!

• 

6.2K Posts

July 12th, 2019 12:00

Hello

I would start by taking the system to minimum to POST. Other hardware installed or connected to the system can cause initialization issues with hardware throughout the system. Something as simple as a USB storage device can cause the iDRAC to not initialize.

You can check to see if the iDRAC is in recovery mode.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/how12633/

If the issue persists after all of that then you will need to replace parts. I think the iDRAC is embedded in the system board on the R420.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

July 15th, 2019 12:00

Is the LED flashing at the rate in the article? If not, then it is not in recovery mode. If it is not in recovery mode then it will not be searching for an image, this method will not work unless it is in recovery mode.

The image file should be present in all of our packages. You will need to use something that can view and extract archives, like 7-zip. The image file will typically be in the payload folder. You can find the downloads on the system support page.

http://www.dell.com/support/

17 Posts

July 15th, 2019 12:00

Thanks. But where do I get this firmimg.d7 file? And I don't think my R420 has any SD Card slot.

17 Posts

July 16th, 2019 08:00

Nothing is blinking. Server has bigger issues. Here's exactly what happens. Fans run full speed continually.

1. Completes initializing memory, the shows Initializing iDRAC. Sits there for a few minutes.

1_Initializing_iDRAC_small.jpg

2. Then shows alert message "Alert! iDRAC not responding. Rebooting".

2_iDrac_not_responding_Rebooting_small.jpg

3. It then reboots and goes through the memory initialization and again gets stuck on "Initializing iDRAC" for a few minutes.

4. Eventually tries to post. In upper right, instead of F10 option, it displays "Lifecycle Controller Disabled".

3_Lifecycle_Controller_Disabled_small.jpg

5. After attempting to complete post, it gives iDRAC initialization error, and ask to strike F1 to continue or F2 to run the system setup.

4_iDRAC_initialization_error_small.jpg

6. Hit F1, and it initializes firmware.

7. Shows message to Strike F1 to continue, F2 for Setup, or F11 for Boot Menu.

5_SWC0700_iDrac_is_not_ready_small.jpg

7. Strike F1 and it eventually boots to OS. Fans continue to run at full speed.

• I've drained flea power and cleared NVRAM. No change.
  • Re-seated iDRAC card, risers, memory, etc. No change.
  • Removed iDRAC card completely. No Change.
  • Booted to ISO to update firmware, but gets stuck on checking system inventory.
  • Tried

17 Posts

July 16th, 2019 08:00

2 Posts

February 11th, 2020 14:00

So what is the end of the story?

2 Posts

May 7th, 2020 04:00

The end of the story is that we have hundreds of R420 in operation and this is known issue that can be resolved only by motherboard replacement. Lot of R420 broken. Some are gathering dust on the shelves for spare parts and some are already disposed of. In my opinion this is popular defect of the R420 that DELL did not recognize and that can't be resolved without expensive part replacement. All this instructions above help in 1% of cases. Fail from DELL's side. Most reliable DELL 1U server is R430. New R440 have lots off problems already from factory and feels like more cheap chassis than R430. But overall they make the best servers.

3 Posts

July 7th, 2020 13:00

I'm posting this as I had these exact same problems with my R420.

Started last year when I upgraded the RAM, and updated the BIOS.

The BIOS update took over 1 hour, and I dont think every properly finished.

After that the following symptoms were observed.

1. iDRAC not responding message on boot up, 2nd boot required F1 to continue.

2. Fans at MAX Speed

3. the LCD on the Front of the R420 was not lit up. the Round Info button (next to power) was solid blue.

4. After around 1 week, the server would become less and less responsive and at this point I migrated everything off and planned to replace it.

Fast forward to today, I was plugging away at this, trying everything I could.

Drain Flea Power, try to reset per this Instructions Did not work. https://www.dell.com/community/Rack-Servers/R420-Fails-to-load-Initializing-iDRAC-configuration-and-fans-run/td-p/7334693

Removed the iDRAC Module from the server, reseated it, Flea Power again, no dice.

WHAT DID FINNALY WORK:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/how12633/poweredge-idrac-recovery-procedure-with-firmimg-d7?lang=en

Downloaded the Latest iDRAC Firmware for my R420 (1.66.65). Opened this EXE with 7zip. Extracted the firmimg.d7 from the Payload Folder.

Took 4GB SDCard formatted it in Windows as FAT, named it idrac (dont think that mattered)

with server powered on and blazing 12000rpms and the noise along with it, I inserted the SDCard into the iDRAC slot in the back. I let the machine run (windows booted, and was just idle) for around 20 mins.

Powered the Machine off, unplugged it, did the FLEA power reset. SD Card still in the slot, I powered it back on. Fans were normal power on levels, but then... THEY GOT QUIET!!!!

The LCD Screen came back up, and now everything appears to be working again.

Hope this helps anyone with R420 Problems.

11 Posts

February 7th, 2021 02:00

iMay I ask a question? I have the similar issue.

But seems normal SD card not work.

it need DELL qualified SD card?

• 

2.1K Posts

February 8th, 2021 00:00

Hello,

There are those who use SD cards that are not Dell-certified, but it is difficult to tell which cards are. Maybe those who use different SD cards can help in this regard. If the card in you have work on another device and there is no problem with the IDSDM slot, it may not be supported. But other than that, can you try:

*"Certain SD cards have a physical write-protect switch on the card. If the write-protect switch is turned on
then the SD card is not writeable "

*You can check if the SD card is enabled in system setup (F2).

*You can format the SD card via iDRAC

*You can update FW https://dell.to/2MC2KpS

Let us know if this helps!

2 Posts

April 12th, 2021 00:00

SD card brand doesn't matter. iDRAC "i" button should blink "flashed at ~1/2 second rate" only then it will be recognized. This specific blinking is iDRAC firmware recovery mode. Otherwise this method didn't work.

• 

3.4K Posts

April 12th, 2021 02:00

Hello,

thanks for this information, any issue you are encountering? Can we help you further?

Thanks

Marco

1 Rookie

• 

56 Posts

April 1st, 2024 19:58

@Mnemic​    Hi guys sorry to hijack this thread but i bought a 2nd hand used off ebay R420 server.. it came without the IDRAC module the one with the SD card is missing, and on first BOOT init i checked that bios was old version 1.46  and i got the same IDRAC INIT ERROR and therefore lifecycle controller was disabled..  so i have installed windows 10 on raid0 after all the hassle i had to power up the server,  i tried installing new bios but it throws an error o RBU i tried updateing the idrac firmware 1.65 exe also gives me an error not compatible ...  i am now wondering if i extract the firmimg.d7  is there a way to update it via TFTP ? or do i need a IDRAC controller with the SDcard formatted with he firmimg.d7 in order to try to fix this.. the fans are full blown RPM noisy.

1 Rookie

• 

56 Posts

April 9th, 2024 00:00

@Mnemic​ 

hiya glad it worked for you.

i have the exact same problem.. the front lcd display not working.. the Amber light flashing on the back quickly.. mine didn´t had the idrac slot with the sd card..  i have the exact same error on the pictures on the init screen..  so i did the FLEA reset without power cables..

Also wen and bought myself a idrac module for the Dell R420, had a old SD card SHC 10 Sony 4GB laying around , formatted on the windows 10 Machine in FAT mode, sent the firmimg.d7 file inside.. plugged it back on the iDRAC slot.. let the machine running the windows for around half an hour.

Shutdown the server, did the flea RESET.. power up again but the idrac allways errors out on boot.. and fans start spinning crazy..

One thing i noticed was.. the Amber light is allways flashing fast.. it only stays solid for a couple of seconds.. when i remove the SD card.. it stays solid for 2 or 3 seconds.. and then when i press the SD card into the slot back again it stays lit for about 3 or 4 seconds.. then it simply starts flashing fast again..

running out of ideas.. i guess will shutdown windows now.. but will leave the power cables on overnight with SD card inside.. as both Green lights from the power supplies stay ON.. and the blue light on the i button on the front also stays ON all the time.

• 

3.6K Posts

April 9th, 2024 09:25

Hello have you tried this?

https://dell.to/3PRrmrS

Respectfully,

No Events found!