Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

36 Posts

October 1st, 2018 10:00

R610: Windows Fails to see SD card

We just recently got a PowerEdge R610. The device does indeed have an SD card module, though whenever we attempt to install Windows using it, the card is not recognized as an installable media by the OS. What are we missing? Thanks.

101 Posts

October 1st, 2018 11:00

Where is the SD Card Reader located? Is it in the rear of the server directly above what looks like a network port, or inside the case behind the front panel?

Randy

October 1st, 2018 20:00

I'll have to ask. It was a separate module that was put in, though I wasn't there for it, unfortunately. It's the one on the inside, though, I think, though don't quote me on that. Server's not mine, it's my friend's. 

101 Posts

October 3rd, 2018 18:00

Unfortunately both can be added after the fact. The one in the front is for standard SD cards and can be booted from and/or read normally. The one in the back of the server is for vFlash use only. Your friend may not be aware of that.

October 3rd, 2018 19:00

I'm going to check with him hopefully later over the weekend, but that server was definitely interesting. All I know is that it's got an iDRAC card in it, not sure about VFlash or other SD Card modules. I'm beginning to think that the seller on EBay wasn't as descriptive as they could have been and that I got the wrong thing? Not sure ... 

October 4th, 2018 19:00

The server has been confirmed. He's got a SD card module on his back side. It's not inside; my firend just confirmed that it's on the back of the unit.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 9th, 2018 07:00

Hi Katherine,

This is the iDRAC's vFlash slot. The only real OS install guide provided by Dell is specific to ESXi, but this method is not recommended or offically supported (https://www.dell.com/support/article/sln268008). Installing Windows isn't recommended, as the excessive reads and writes can shorten the lifespan of the SD card.

Thanks,

October 9th, 2018 12:00

When I get back over there, and get another look, I'll see if it's got the front slot. It probably does, then again, it might not. Are they normally ordered special? I'm only asking because I'm planning on getting a PowerEdge R400 series off of the secondhand market and want to get a feel for what sort of spec I'm looking for. 

101 Posts

October 9th, 2018 12:00

Yeah, I suspected as much. You might consider burning the Windows/Server install ISO to a USB drive and installing that way if this R610 does not have the internal/front SD socket.

Randy

101 Posts

October 9th, 2018 13:00

From my experience they are pretty rare unless the system was purchased for ESXI use. On the other hand, they are really inexpensive from the usual Auction/Buy It Now site. I personally have them installed in all of my active servers for no other reason that I can and they are really cheap...

Randy

October 9th, 2018 16:00

We use Hyper-V, so this probably doesn't even apply to us, then? That's what I'm getting from this, though I have seen in the manuals regarding installing hyper-V on it somewhere; not entirely sure where it was, though.

No Events found!