Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

May 13th, 2021 03:00

R720XD Motherboard Replacement and iDRAC Licence

Hi,

the DRAC on my R720xd which is out of support failed which means I need to replace the motherboard. I can see both R720 and R720XD motherboards for sale on the used market and from what I read either can be used in my R720XD.

My question is if I replace my motherboard with either an R720 or R720XD motherboard, will Dell assist me in migrating the DRAC Enterprise licence attached to my current machine to the new motherboard if it arrives without an Enterprise DRAC licence?

Thanks

2.9K Posts

May 13th, 2021 07:00

Hello,

You can download the license file from the Dell Digital Locker and attempt to apply it to the new board with the command: racadm license import -f licenxeName.xml -c idrac.embedded.1. If you cannot use the Digital Locker for any reason, then we may be able to provide the same license, but I would need:

1) The service tag

2) The name of the company we would have on record as the owner

3) The email address to send the regenerated license file to

I haven't tried replacing a server's board with the board from another model, but I don't believe the iDRAC license will be an issue. For example, we have an iDRAC trial license that applies to all iDRACs of a given generation, not a given model. While I don't expect you to run into issues, you would be making this replacement at your own risk. I do believe you'll be just fine, but I wanted to be clear about what we can support.

2 Posts

May 13th, 2021 08:00

Dylan thanks very much for your reply.

I understand it would be best to get the same motherboard model number and Dell can't be held responsible for the actual replacement of the board. My main query is regarding the transfer of the DRAC licence.

I bought this unit used so I don't think I will be able to provide the details of the original owner. Will that prevent me from transferring the DRAC licence after replacing the motherboard?

Thanks

2.9K Posts

May 13th, 2021 08:00

It sounds like the issue you're going to run into with this being a used system is acquiring the base license file. We can't resend a license without those details I'd mentioned before. Without knowing more about the failure, you might try racadm license export -f licenseName. I know you said you were replacing it for an iDRAC failure, so this may or may not work for you. If exporting the license from the old board is a no-go, the best recommendation I could make would be to try to get the details from the person you purchased it from. You might also look into performing a change of ownership. Another department handles those ownership changes, but I do know they've helped more than a handful of people in the forum. I'll have a link below, if that's something you want to explore.

https://dell.to/3y6wHRJ

No Events found!