Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2018 22:00

Reconfiguring RAID-0 to RAID-6 leaves one of the two new disks in ready state

I have just reconfigured a RAID-0 with 4 disks to RAID-6 by adding two disks. All seems to have gone fine, but I see an inconsistency (or so it looks to me) and I have to address it in order to be sure with my data: The one added disk is now in ready state, whereas the other is in online state. So, now 5 disks in the RAID-6 array are in online state and the one is in ready state.

Other data to be taken into consideration: RAID-6 remaining redundancy: 2 (as expected). And when I select from the interface to show me the virtual disk's disks it shows all 6 drives as expected.

So, what is the real status now of my virtual disk? Can I rely on it?

311 Posts

March 27th, 2018 09:00

Sorry for the mix up.

Make sure the iDRAC firmware is up to date. I see that there are some fixes/enhancements that can affect the reporting.

You can boot into the controller BIOS and confirm that the drives are all online. The controller BIOS would have the most accurate status of the drives.

Let me know if that helps.

Thank you,

311 Posts

March 26th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thank you,

311 Posts

March 26th, 2018 15:00

Hi,

Before proceeding, get a backup of your data.

Here is a link for a video on reconfiguring RAID level. The drives that you want to add cannot be a member of another VD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SAr8Qzum8s

Let me know how it goes.

8 Posts

March 27th, 2018 01:00

Hi!

I think you missed the point where I already proceeded in reconfiguring my RAID from 0 to 6 by adding two disks.

Anyway, the problem I reported is that when reconstructing was over, one of the two added disks was shown by idrac to be in ready state instead of online. But now I notice that idrac shows it as ready, whereas openManage shows it correctly as online. So, I guess it is a glitch of idrac...

8 Posts

April 2nd, 2018 17:00

iDRAC software was uptodate. BIOS controller shows all drives are online, just as OpenManage shows. So, I guess it is an iDRAC bug.

No Events found!