Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 5th, 2018 02:00

Replacing faulty SAS HDD on Controller PERC H730 Mini in Poweredge R730 server

Hi Friends, 

I've got a Failure predicted warning for SAS HDD on Controller PERC H730 Mini running in PowerEdge R730. RAID 1 configured for this disk and we are planning to replace this faulty disk soon. Could someone please suggest the steps to replace this RAID disk. Simply remove the faulty disk and replace (rebuild) with new disk shall be okay or do I need to shutdown the server to replace the disk ?

Please advise. Thanks      

311 Posts

March 5th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thank you,

311 Posts

March 6th, 2018 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for the service tag. 

Be sure and get a good backup of your data before proceeding. A RAID 1 can continue with 1 drive down, but 2 can result in data lost.

No need to shutdown server to replace the hard drive. The disks are hot swap. Offline the drive first before removing. Replace the drive and it should start to rebuild back into the array. If not, set the drive to a hot spare to start the rebuild. You can monitor/manage the array and hard drives with OpenManage.

Let me know how it goes.

3 Posts

January 6th, 2021 14:00

How to replace if I only have the idrac console access find offline for SAS HDD

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 6th, 2021 18:00

What iDRAC are you having? If you have iDRAC9 we can make a drive offline/online without rebooting the server. If you have iDRAC 7/8 you can make a drive offline/online through iDRAC but need a reboot of the server.

• 

3.6K Posts

January 6th, 2021 19:00

Hi, as we are not aware of your system's condition/configuration, for now I could advise that you follow the link and apply accordingly. Please let us know if you have any further questions and we wish you a Happy New Year!

https://dell.to/3s1v4Sg

racadm raid get pdisks -o -p state

• To force physical disk online or retrive data on physical/virtual disk

·       racadm raid forceonline:Disk.Bay.0:Enclosure.Internal.0-0:RAID.Integrated.1-1

• To force physical disk offline or remove disk from virtual disk configuration

racadm raid forceoffline:Disk.Bay.0:Enclosure.Internal.0-0:RAID.Integrated.1-1

3 Posts

January 6th, 2021 21:00

iDRAC8

3 Posts

January 6th, 2021 21:00

I have an R730 with Debian Linux 10 Buster installed. I couldn't find support on Dell sites to install OMSA on it. This is the reason for my question

And Happy New 2021

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 6th, 2021 22:00

If it is iDRAC8 then you can do it from iDRAC but need a system reboot. You can also do it from PERC configuration utility during boot.

You can refer below post on using iDRAC 8 to configure drive offline/online using iDRAC

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-HDD-SCSI-RAID/RAID-1-drive-in-Predictive-Failure-cannot-switch-off-the-server/m-p/7772575/highlight/false#M55598 

• 

3.6K Posts

January 6th, 2021 23:00

Hi, if I could throw in another article:

Hope this helps.
No Events found!