Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2018 17:00

Update all the firmware on an 11G PowerEdge R510?

Hello,

I have a R510 with no Operating System.  Zero Hard Disk Drives.

Is it even possible to update its firmware?  I've tried and failed.

Thank you.  

September 2nd, 2018 13:00

I will stop trying to move forward relying on instructions posed on Dell.

I will, instead, install an OS and then download OS based firmware updates.
notDellAuth20180901_185503.jpg

101 Posts

August 31st, 2018 18:00

Yes. There are lots of posts with similar questions concerning the Gen11 servers. Your best bet would be to read the article below:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln310452/lifecycle-controller-lc-firmware-update-error-no-update-is-available-on-any-11g-server?lang=en

I personally used instructions found here is the forum to create a DVD with the latest BIOS/Firmware/Etc. files and ran the updates from the lifecycle controller. No HDD or OS needed!

Good luck!

August 31st, 2018 19:00

Thank you for the link!  I will try it tomorrow.

September 1st, 2018 14:00

I am still encountering issues.

I am not sure if the problem is with me or not.

Step 11 indicates, "There are several export formats available. Choosing "SUU ISO" exports the Catalog to an image file that LC Update can load via local or iDRAC virtual media. Otherwise, if you intend to mount the custom catalog in LC from a remote file share, choose the "Share" tab and then click "Browse" to specify a local directory path to save the Catalog.xml file and (optionally) all of the downloaded DUPs."

I was hoping to avoid downloading the updates and only including the Catalog.xml file on my USB thumb drive.  The picture shows the contents of the USB Thumb drive.

drm.jpg

Steps I took,
- I will not download the gigabytes of updates via  Dell Repository Manager (DRM) .  
- I will create a  catalog.xml file using the Dell EMC Repository Manager.  I will copy the contents of the DRM directory containing the catalog.xml file onto the USB thumb drive.
- I will boot the R510 and press F10 to let the Lifecycle Controller load.
- I copied the catalog.xml file (now called, R510_11G_1.00_Catalog.xml) to the USB thumb drive.
- I booted and the Lifecycle Controller loaded
- I selected "Local Repository", located the USB thumb drive and clicked, "Next".
- The error message below popped up.
- And, I am confused again.  Not knowing what I did incorrect.

20180901_unable.jpg

Again, I appreciate any help or tips you may send my way.
Thank you.

101 Posts

September 4th, 2018 16:00

That's pretty much what I did, but I did download the Gigabytes of data. I figured I might as well since that way I know I have what is needed since I have multiple Gen11 servers to update. It'll get downloaded anyway, so why not have it on a DVD and ready to go?

If I didn't download at the start, I would be downloading multiple times during the upgrade process.

11 Posts

June 19th, 2021 20:00

I just booted into the SLI_3.0.0_A00.iso and then wget the .bin files to the server using a local http server. However this is good info, wish I would have found this before my head hit the desk a few time

No Events found!