Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2020 08:00

Windows Server Essentials 2019 Install Freezes on Windows Logo

I have a new PowerEdge R6515 with AMD CPUs and am trying to install Windows Server Essentials 2019 on it. The DVD boots and it says loading files, but as soon as it switches to the blue Windows logo, it freezes.

I know this sounds similar to the 2016 server installation freezing because of virtualization being enabled, but I tried disabling it and it still did not work.

Things I have tried so far:

• BIOS and UEFI boot
  • enabling/disabling secure boot
  • Disabling hardware RAID
  • Updating the BIOS to latest version
  • Using the os install lifecycle
  • enabling/disabling virtualization
  • enabling disabling hyperthreading

My OS disk is "Windows Server Essentials 2019 English 64-Bit X21-96227.iso"

Please help.

August 28th, 2020 15:00

In desperation, I went back into the firmware and started randomly disabling things and testing if Windows would boot (annoying, because the server takes such a long time to POST.) I found it was the option "2XAPIC" that was causing the freezing. Once I disabled that option, Windows booted successfully. I hope someone else finds this fact useful in the future if they run into this problem.

74 Posts

August 4th, 2020 09:00

It was a driver issue. Utilizing LCC convey OS consistently brought about the above issue since it incorporates the drivers during introduce. The fix was introduce without LCC and physically include RAID drivers during introduce. This permitted me to complete the introduce effectively and boot Server 2016. I expect the difficult driver was the Matrox video driver because of the Windows logo being sliced down the middle when it hung.

August 10th, 2020 09:00

How do you include the driver before freeze? I am freezing at the blue Windows logo, I think this is before the load drivers step.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 14th, 2020 06:00

Bananaphone, Tommy, ex1,

The issue is likely tied to the fact that the Essentials edition of the OS isn't supported on either of those servers (R6515, R7515), as seen here. The only two supported versions of 2019 are Standard and Datacenter. 

Let me know if this helps.

6 Posts

Same Issue here. Booting the ISO it freezes at the windows logo.

System R7515.

Things I have tried so far too:

• BIOS and UEFI boot
  • enabling/disabling secure boot
  • Disabling hardware RAID
  • Updating the BIOS to latest version
  • Using the os install lifecycle
  • Disabling lifecylce controller
  • enabling/disabling virtualization
  • enabling disabling hyperthreading

Suggestions?

6 Posts

Hi Chris,

thanks for your quick response.

I tried to install SRV 2019 Standard and Datacenter. Still freezing on the Windows Logo.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 17th, 2020 06:00

Are you seeing any errors being displayed, specifically any cache errors?

Also, is the server up to date on the BIOS, iDrac, and raid controller?

August 24th, 2020 07:00

I made sure to update everything after the first failure.

No error messages, just frozen on the Windows logo.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 24th, 2020 11:00

If the server isn't indicating a problem, the raid controller is showing an optimal virtual disk, and everything is up to date, I would look at the issue being based on the OS itself. If it is windows based have you tried recovering or running something like fixboot?

August 25th, 2020 06:00

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

This is happening almost immediately in the installation process, before Windows actually gets installed.

• 

8.4K Posts

Try updating the OS driver pack found here, and then let me know how it goes.

August 28th, 2020 11:00

Turns out I already had the latest driver pack. It's still freezing in the same place.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 28th, 2020 11:00

Would you try booting to the OMSA LIve ISO, found here. If it boots to the ISO correctly, then you would need to look at the OS, and possibly software support. 

No Events found!