Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2019 01:00

swc0700 idrac is not ready. the configuration values cannot

i have R420 and my problem is that fan is full speed and idrac initializing not responding and auto reboot. the problem is start from i upgrade my bios etc and during installation upgrade is stuck (hang), after that this problem accure. i already try nvram reset, telnet using serial (which appear is the same windows with the monitor), using download iso from dell (and hang during collecting system inventory or something like that), download all tools that i can find on dell.com. any idea what should i do anymore ? sorry with my bad english. thank you albert dalton

June 3rd, 2022 02:00

if you have the same problem than don't waste your time with repairing (just like i did almost waste 1 month) just replace the unit or motherboard and don't upgrade the bios anymore

61 Posts

June 4th, 2022 21:00

Well that's a shame. Ive bought these 2 R420 that never got used (the original buyer never used it) and the first one worked just fine, its under usage by 1 year now. This week I was going to put the second one to use, bought a lot of extra memory and storage for it, a raid controller... And decided to update everything in it because "why not?"... Then I simply let the Lifecycle Controller to update it all online, automatically... and here we are.

I will still try the procedures involving the serial port and SD card reader, I haven't tried those. But I dont think I will have any success...

Can I at least stop the server form trying to initiate the IDRAC every single time it boots up? This server wont need remote access so if I were able to simply deactivate everything IDRAC related I'd be good. My main problem right now is that it takes some 10 minutes trying to initiate the IDRAC when it powers up AND it halts after failing, asking for keyboard input. If the server just boots ignoring everything IDRAC related, it would be fine to me. Even if I weren't able to remove the IDRAC initialization attempt but after its failure the server keep doing the boot process, that would suffice. Replacing the motherboard right now isn't an option...

• 

3.4K Posts

June 6th, 2022 03:00

Hello,

no sorry I don't see how to bypass iDRAC initialization as it is integrated on motherboard.

Thanks
Marco

August 29th, 2022 13:00

A potential solution before mainboard replacement is reset of the drac by jumper or command line if it is accepting commands. There is a nvramm jumper on the mainboard. The jumper location is in the manual or on the flip side of the cover. You can sometimes recover the idrac by resetting the nvramm jumper to defaults. The idrac might take a reset if you can use racadm or ssh to the drac and run racadm racreset or racamdresetcfg the cfg add on takes it to factory default. 

8 Posts

September 1st, 2022 01:00

I also have a R720 with an failed iDRAC 7 firmware update. Currently the system is still running (Windows Server), but the iDRAC is no longer responding (Web UI not accessible, no ping/link on iDRAC ethernet port).

Since this is a productive system, I'm afraid the server won't boot back into Windows again, once I shutdown/restart to see, if I can reset/re-flash iDRAC in BIOS.

Can you guys confirm, that I will at least be able to boot back into Windows, even if the fans are at 100%? Or will I end up having a completely bricked server after I shutdown/restart?

Thanks in advance.

• 

3.4K Posts

September 1st, 2022 05:00

Hello madeyem,

Your question is similar to when we are driving, an alarm appears on the dashboard of the car, and you wonder if the car will be able to reach its destination.

I cannot confirm that you can boot in Windows again because it depends on what happened while firmware updating.

What I can tell you that iDRAC is isolated from the rest of the system, so I'm pretty confident that the server will boot again. The only way to discover it is to try, unfortunately.

Thanks

No Events found!