Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2.5K Posts

February 18th, 2019 09:00

usb booting the OS R710 , sevr 2012R2 (durability issues)

have working R710  with H700 raid 6 system. 6 drives in array, booted to ssd now (hidden inside)

all  100% good. (not an install question I do that easy)

USB flash memory drive sticks (Udisk)  Using say the hidden USB port inside (sure enabled )

What I want to learn is this.

1.  some folks are OS booting from only USB drive. ( OS , I'm win2012R2-64bit.)
  2. as we all know an OS like this can thrash the registry and other files heavy .
  3. So what USB stick makers make a stick that can handle this usage like all good SSD do now.
  4. My question is on endurance of the stick long term. (lets say daily boots for evening video PLEX)
  5. Many sticks are not up to this task, but are there some that are?

thanks for any help or pointers

or any plans on BIOS updates to make m.2 NVME work? boot? (sorry just had to ask this too)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 25th, 2019 11:00

You can't boot/run 2012 from USB. Linux, ESXi, etc. can, and I know there are some hacks/workarounds out there to do it, but I'm not aware of any change to Microsoft licensing that would allow this to work.

Also, a quick search did not turn up enterprise-grade flash drives rated for the kind of use a Windows Server OS would need. Running ESXi is different, as most of the reads/writes happen on the local storage and not the flash media.

You could convert your plex library to a linux server and run that from USB ... or just keep a good backup and extra flash drive on hand.

Feature development has ceased on the 10G servers, so no there won't be an NVMe upgrade.

No Events found!