Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2011 10:00

Can recover point be used with non-EMC arrays?

We are currently looking for a solution to replicate data from one vendor's array in production(HDS USPV) to another vendor's array(Netapp V Series) in DR.  We do have Brocade DCX switches that can have the intelligent application blade installed.  Looking at the spec sheets I see that they are chiefly recomended for use with the Clariion arrays, but the ability to go to non-EMC is also mentioned.

12 Posts

April 15th, 2011 07:00

Yes you can use RecoverPoint for non-EMC storage arrays. You will need to install RecoverPoint splitter on you Brocade switches. You will have to buy AP4-18 blade and install on your current Brocade switches or you can buy new Brocade 7600B switches for the RecoverPoint.

Thank you.

Nirav

40 Posts

April 19th, 2011 18:00

Hi,

There are three ways of Recoverpoint implementation.

One is using with Host splitter based, another is Clariion based(CX3, CX4), the other is intelligent fabric based.

But Host splitter driver and Clariion splitter can only be used with EMC arrays. (Host splitter for CX and DMX, Clariion splitter for CX3, CX4)

If you want to replicate non-EMC arrays with RecoverPoint, you must use intelligent fabric service such as Cisco's SANTap or Brocade's SAS.

Because you already have Brocade director, you can use it with installing additional blade into your Brocade DCX which is capable of enable SAS.

The blade for SAS is PB-48K-AP4-18

Or, you can add AP-7600B switch into your existing fabric and make ISLs with DCX then you can make san splitting environment for Recoverpoint implementation.

Oh, Min-Seok

10 Posts

May 6th, 2011 09:00

There are two versions of RecoverPoint.

RecoverPoint: Allows replication of data across heterogeneous storage, regardless of the storage vendor. I believe this would work in your environment.

RecoverPoint S/E: Allows replication only between EMC CLARiiON arrays. This is likely a lower cost option for CLARiiON only shops.

I am a customer using CLARiiONs and RecoverPoint S/E. We replicate LUNs for physical servers and for VMware datastores. Our VMware environment is further protected by Site Recovery Manager. We've been very satisfied with the deployment and administration of both RecoverPoint and SRM. Feel free to post any additional questions. Although I don't have experience with non-EMC arrays, I could offer further insight into the product.

No Events found!